Integrated Resource Information System (IRIS)
The Integrated Resource Information System (IRIS) is an online business system that supports the development and regulation of Saskatchewan's energy and resources industry. Through IRIS, the oil and gas industry completes regularly performed business activities and regulatory tasks with the province online.
1. Alerts and Notifications
- Please be advised that IRIS will not be available on Wednesday, December 06, 2023 between 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM CST for system improvements and maintenance activities.
- IRIS Release 9.10 was successfully implemented October 04, 2023. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.10 Release Notes.
- IRIS Release 9.9.5 was successfully implemented August 30, 2023. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.9.5 Release Notes.
- IRIS Release 9.9 was successfully implemented August 2, 2023. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.9 Release Notes.
- The Corporate Health Test (CHT) and Inactive Liability Reduction Program (ILRP) obligation penalties went live on June 7, 2023. These penalties will be assessed as per the Financial Security & Site Closure Regulations (FSSCR), Part 9, Table 2 Administrative Penalties. The obligations will be shadow billed for a period of one year prior to actual billing. Please see the Industry Tip for more details.
- IRIS Release 9.8 was successfully implemented June 7, 2023. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.8 Release Notes.
- The 2023 Orphan Fund Levy has been set for $10,000,000 and invoices will be issued/available on May 31, 2023 through IRIS. The orphan levy evaluation will be based on industry's deemed liability under the LLR Program on May 4, 2023. Please refer to the Orphan Fund Levy page for further information.
Please be advised that in accordance with the Financial Security and Site Closure Regulations, the orphan levy due date changed from 30 to 60 days. The ministry will not require payment or process pre-authorized debits until 60 days after the invoice is issued.
- On Thursday, May 11, an email will be sent to active IRIS users of companies that currently hold a well, facility or pipeline licence, with a link to complete an IRIS User Experience Survey. This email will be sent using an online survey tool called Alchemer. Please refer to the Industry Tip for details.
- Please be advised that an updated Logging Amendment Form is available for download. Please use the newest version to accompany the Logging Amendment Application.
- IRIS Release 9.7 was successfully implemented March 29, 2023. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.7 Release Notes.
- Please be advised that the ministry is aware of an issue regarding the hyperlink embedded in the recently issued Annual Reduction Target (ART) notifications. Please refer to the Industry Tip for information on how to view your ART in IRIS.
- It has been discovered that the ER Service Desk phone number printed on the most recent IRIS invoices, is incorrect. If you have questions regarding your invoice, please contact the ER Service Desk at 1-855-219-9373.
- As part of the IRIS 9.6 release, functionality was added to allow industry users to report additional wellbores that are drilled prior to rig release. This functionality is only for additional wellbores that will contribute to the production of the well and does not apply to ghostholes or sidetracks. Please refer to the Industry Tip for more information.
- As follow-up to the Financial Security and Site Closure Regulations in IRIS presentation given February 14, 2023, the presentation and frequently-asked-questions are now available. Please refer to the Industry Tip for more information.
- IRIS Release 9.6.8 was successfully implemented March 2, 2023. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.6.8 Release Notes.
- IRIS Release 9.6.5 was successfully implemented February 22, 2023. However, the IRIS release typographical mistake indicates 9.5.6 rather than 9.6.5 in the IRIS PROD environment. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.6.5 Release Notes.
- An enhancement has been made to the Facility Licence Expiration process. Upon implementation, if a Facility Licence’s Report Construction Complete obligation is not fulfilled within the specified 2-year period, IRIS automatically cancels the licence. In addition, a new permission set has been created so that licensees can subscribe to Facility Licences Expiry Warning Notifications and Facility Licence Cancelled Notification. For more information and for the new permission set name, please see Industry Tips.
- IRIS Release 9.6 was successfully implemented February 8, 2023. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.6 Release Notes.
- It has been discovered that incorrect validation rule for retroactive flowline licence applications denies the application when a user provides incomplete information for free standing liner. This is unexpected behaviour and ministry is working with developers to rectify the issue. Industry is advised to hold on submitting retroactive flowline licence applications involving incomplete liner information. Industry release note will be provided once the issue is resolved. If there are any questions, please contact ER Service Desk at ER Service Desk.
- Effective on January 1, 2023, the orphan fund fee will no longer be required under the amended Oil and Gas Conservation Regulations, 2012. Until changes have been implemented in IRIS, companies acquiring licences for the first time will receive an IRIS message to provide the Orphan Fund Fee.
Industry should not provide payment and should contact the ER Service Desk for further instructions.
- On January 1, 2023, The Financial Security and Site Closure Regulations (FSSCR) and amended Oil and Gas Conservation Regulations, 2012 (OGCR) will come into force. Refer to Bulletin BT2022-009 for further information.
- In support of the updated requirements coming in Directive PNG048: Hydraulic Fracturing Requirements, which is scheduled to go into effect on December 9, 2022, new fields have been added and existing fields updated to reflect the new requirements. This enhancement allows users to report required information directly into IRIS as structured data when reporting a hydraulic fracture. The identified detailed structured data will be required to be entered as of December 7, 2022 for hydraulic fracture reporting. Please refer to the Industry Tips for further information.
- IRIS Release 9.5 was successfully implemented December 7, 2022. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.5 Release Notes.
- Effective on Thursday, November 10, 2022, the access to the Daily Drilling Activity Report, the Daily Well Bulletin, and the related archives of these documents will be updated to align with current Saskatchewan.ca function. Refer to the related Industry Tip for further information.
- IRIS only allows RF Obligations to be created under the Responsible BA ID and has existing edits to ensure this. Currently when BAs amalgamate, the surviving BA does not have access to fulfill RF Obligations on behalf of the amalgamated BAs they now represent. This inability to fulfill a RF Obligation result in penalties being generated that the BAs are unable to rectify to avoid the noncompliance penalties. Please refer to the Industry Tip for further information.
- Surface Casing Vent Flow (SCVF) test data was previously communicated to the ministry in a paper document format. This enhancement will allow the user to report wellbore specific SCVF test data directly into IRIS as structured data under the Tests tab in well details. Please refer to the Industry Tip for further information.
- IRIS Release 9.4 was successfully implemented October 5, 2022. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.4 Release Notes
- IRIS Release 9.3 was successfully implemented August 3, 2022. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.3 Release Notes.
- Facility Licence Applications with more than two digits after the decimal place in the Natural Gas Compressor data fields Compressor Rating (kW) and NOx Emission Rating (g/kWh) cannot be approved due to a technical issue. Until further notice via a subsequent Industry Tip, please refrain from submitting applications which have more than two digits after the decimal place in these fields. See the following Industry Tip for further information.
- IRIS Release 9.2 was successfully implemented June 2, 2022. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.2 Release Notes.
- Disclosure Question D39 description has been updated to ask for detailed information on 3rd party substances. To provide better clarity, this enhancement updated Disclosure Question D39’s description and added follow-up questions for industry to provide detailed information on the well licence application. See the following Industry Tip for further information.
- The 2022 Orphan levy has been set for $8,500,000 and invoices will be issued/available on May 2, 2022 through IRIS. Please refer to the Orphan Fund Levy webpage for further information.
- IRIS Release 9.1 was successfully implemented March 30, 2022. Please note, the overall login experience has changed for IRIS users. To see what was implemented see IRIS 9.1 Release Notes.
- The new Gas Commercialization Mapping (GCM) Service was announced in a March 2022 news release and is now accepting requests. Please visit the GCM Service webpage for more information.
- Coming March 30, 2022 - Modernization of IRIS Login experience – As part of the IRIS Release 9.1, the overall login experience for IRIS will change for all IRIS users. Separate login boxes for 'Industry Login' and 'Government of Saskatchewan Login' will be displayed on the login page. Please note, industry users will continue to access IRIS by selecting the Industry 'Login box'.
- IRIS Release 9.0 was successfully implemented February 14, 2022. To see what was implemented see Mineral Rights Tax (MRT) Release Notes 9.0.
- IRIS Release 8.5 was successfully implemented February 2, 2022. To see what was implemented see IRIS 8.5 Release Notes.
- The Reporting Facility Obligation project went live on December 16, 2020. As part of the project, industry will now be able to set permissions and preferences to receive notifications of the creation and maintenance of reporting facility obligations. Please refer to the Industry Tip for further information.
- Please be advised that an updated Private Land Checklist for the Ministry of Environment is available for download. Industry is to use the newest checklist to accompany the Well/Facility Licence Application effective January 1, 2022.
- Permittees and Confidential Designated Representatives (CDR) of a permit will now be able to submit their Annual Estimate and Actual Permit Expenditure Amounts, along with supporting Work Expenditure documentation through IRIS. Please refer to the Industry Tip for further information.
- It has been discovered that Pipelines Module Spec Change coordinates entered during Replacement application in IRIS are stored incorrectly under Spec Changes tab main screen. Please refer Spec Changes details screen for correct Spec Change coordinates.
IRIS is unavailable the first Wednesday of each month between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. CST for maintenance. Should that Wednesday fall on the first day of the month, the maintenance window moves to the first Thursday.
You can complete the following activities on IRIS
Petroleum Tenure Module
- Apply for Crown sale parcel posting
- Participate in Crown sale bidding
- Apply for non-advertised dispositions
- Register instruments against a disposition, including builder's liens
- Search for dispositions and instruments
- Apply to transfer disposition ownership
- Apply to change a designated representative
- Apply to surrender dispositions
- Obtain invoices for tenure related activities
- Obtain prior and final lease continuance reports
Emissions Management Module
- Apply for Emissions Adjustment
- Apply for Qualifying Conservation Project
- Submit Emissions Reduction Plan
Well and Facility Infrastructure Module
- Apply for a well licence
- Apply for a licence to construct and operate an oil and gas facility
- Apply to transfer well and facility licences
- Apply for authorizations related to:
- Well logging requirements
- Gas well test
- 30-day Absolute Open Flow (AOF) test
- Directional survey
- Production and measurement:
- Repair, abandonment and liability:
- Units and forced pooling: new unit and unit amendment
- Submit well drilling, completion and workover information
- Submit abandonment information
- Submit reports, tests and other documents related to applications, wells and facilities
- Search and manage well and facility infrastructure information
- Search and manage well obligations
- Report incidents
- Receive inspection results and manage inspection resolutions
Other IRIS functionality
- Apply for a full or partial waiver of Petrinex non-compliance penalties
- Search, view and download oil and gas royalty/tax summaries and details
- Subscribe to and manage IRIS Notifications
To use IRIS effectively, it's important that you understand the following concepts:
Industry Self-Declaration: The Business Associate (BA) self-declares they have met the specific regulations or provided mitigation in accordance with policy before submitting applications, data, reports (etc.) in IRIS. It's important that the BA know and understand what is required under the regulations, and that submissions will be reviewed for regulatory compliance. False declarations may have serious consequences; the Government of Saskatchewan has the ability to cancel or suspend an issued licence, withhold future approvals or force abandonment of a well.
- Business Associate (BA): Any entity that conducts business activities with the Ministry of Energy and Resources is referred to as a BA.
- Business Associate Identification Code (BA ID): Every BA must have an active BA ID, which is a five-character numeric identification code. BAs apply to the Government of Saskatchewan for a BA ID through Petrinex.
- Petrinex: Petrinex is the system the oil and gas industry uses to submit volumetric, valuation, royalty taxpayer and certain infrastructure information to the Government of Saskatchewan. The Government also uses Petrinex to administer it's BA ID codes. For more information about Petrinex, go to: www.petrinex.ca
- IRIS Security Administrator (SA): The SA is responsible for managing all of the IRIS user accounts on behalf of the BA, including assigning permissions and ensuring proper security and risk management procedures are in place to maintain the confidentiality and integrity of the BA's data in IRIS.
- Permission Sets: Permission sets (or a group of tasks) govern what activities an IRIS user can perform in the system on behalf of the BA. To perform any activity in IRIS, the user must have the appropriate permission sets assigned to them by the BA's Security Administrator (SA). A user may have many permission sets depending on the tasks he/she is required to perform in IRIS for the BA.
- IRIS User Accounts: BAs have individual IRIS users within their organization, and each of those users requires an IRIS account. IRIS user accounts are set up by the BA's Security Administrator (SA). What each user can perform and see in IRIS is assigned by the SA through permission sets.
- The Ministry of Energy and Resources (the Ministry): The ministry is the Government of Saskatchewan organization responsible for development and regulation of the energy and resources industry, and is also responsible for the processes performed in IRIS.
To complete tasks on IRIS, you must:
- Have an active Business Associate Identification Code (BA ID)
- Have an appointed IRIS Security Administrator (SA)
- Have an active IRIS user account assigned by your BA's SA
- Read and understand the rules, regulations and directives that govern the business processes completed through IRIS:
- Complete the relevant application for authorization forms required for the activity you are completing in IRIS (see this IRIS Industry Tip for attachment types and file sizes accepted by IRIS)
- Ensure your screen resolution is set to 1280 X 1024, and have one of the following web browser versions on your computer:
|All Others||Best Efforts|
4. How To
Individual IRIS user accounts are set up by your BA's Security Administrator (SA). If you require access to IRIS, contact your BA's SA. Don't know who your SA is? Contact the Energy and Resources Service Desk at 1-855-219-9373 or ER.Servicedesk@gov.sk.ca.
Apply for a BA ID (if you don't have one):
- Complete and submit the Requesting a Business Associate Identifier (BA ID) for Saskatchewan application form on Petrinex.
- If your organization doesn't report production data (volumetrics, valuation, etc.) to the Government of Saskatchewan you do not need to apply for access to Petrinex.
- Click "no" to this question in the BA ID application form: "Once you have been assigned a BA Identifier will you need access to Petrinex?"
Apply for an IRIS Security Administrator account:
- Read the Integrated Resource Information System Security Administrator Role and Responsibilities Information Circular.
- Download and complete EITHER (a. or b.) below:
- Application for IRIS Security Administrator Account form.
- Mineral Rights Tax (MRT) Users may delegate Ministry of Energy and Resources as their security Administrator. To request delegation, select Mineral Rights Tax (MRT) Delegation of Security Administration (SA) Account form.
- Email completed SA application form to ER.Servicedesk@gov.sk.ca.
- Upon approval of the application, the Ministry creates your BA SA account and contacts your designated SA by phone to provide the IRIS account name and password information.
- The BA's SA logs into IRIS using the account name and password. Once successfully logged in, the SA can begin setting up individual accounts and assigning permission sets for their BA's IRIS users.
- Regular review of the BA Security Administrators Responsibilities.
6. Further Information
The Ministry of Energy and Resources Service Desk is available Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST, excluding holidays.
For any assistance, please contact:
ER Service Desk
1-855-219-9373 (toll free)
Emergency Support Reporting (24 hours a day, seven days a week)
IRIS Industry Tips
Find information to help you use IRIS more efficiently.
- August 2, 2023: IRIS Industry Tip: Report An Update to the Well Completion Drainage Area
- July 31, 2023: IRIS Industry Tip: Submission Penalties for Corporate Health Test and Inactive Liability Reduction Program
- June 7, 2023: IRIS Industry Tip: Enhancement to Fluid Analysis Test Screen
- June 7, 2023: IRIS Industry Tip: Facility Licensing/Facility Site Information
- May 29 2023: IRIS Industry Tip: Fracture Fluid Reporting Bulk Upload
- May 8, 2023: IRIS Industry Tip: IRIS User Experience Survey
- March 29, 2023: IRIS Industry Tip: Routine/Non-Routine Well Abandonment Application and Well Field Work Notification
- March 22, 2023: IRIS Industry Tip: Hyperlink Error in ART Notification
- March 10, 2023: IRIS Industry Tip: Adding Additional Wellbores While Drilling
- March 9, 2023: Financial Security and Site Closure Regulations in IRIS - Industry Presentation FAQ
- March 8, 2023: Financial Security and Site Closure Regulations in IRIS - Industry Presentation
- February 2, 2023: IRIS Industry Tip: Facility Licence Expiry
- 2022 Industry Tips
- 2021 Industry Tips
- 2020 Industry Tips
- 2019 Industry Tips
- 2018 Industry Tips
- 2017 Industry Tips
- 2016 Industry Tips
IRIS Release Notes
See what was included in each release of IRIS.
- October 4, 2023: IRIS Version 9.10
- August 2, 2023: IRIS Version 9.9
- June 7, 2023: IRIS Version 9.8
- March 29, 2023: IRIS Version 9.7
- March 2, 2023: IRIS Version 9.6.8
- February 22, 2023: IRIS Version 9.6.5
- February 2, 2023: IRIS Version 9.6