Venting and Flaring
The Government of Saskatchewan's Ministry of Energy and Resources requires licensees of oil and gas wells and facilities to manage venting and flaring in accordance with Directive PNG036: Venting and Flaring Requirements (Directive PNG036).
Effective December 27, 2019, Directive S-10: Saskatchewan Upstream Petroleum Industry Associated Gas Conservation is no longer in place.
Requirements and compliance
- Licensees must comply with the regulatory requirements outlined in Directive PNG036 for managing venting and flaring at oil and gas wells and facilities in Saskatchewan.
- All flaring and incineration systems must be designed and operated to destroy the waste gases to the specification prescribed in Directive S-20: Saskatchewan Upstream Flaring and Incineration Requirements.
- Directive PNG001: Facility Licence Requirements and Directive S-01: Saskatchewan Upstream Petroleum Industry Storage Standards should be reviewed for further requirements that may pertain to venting and flaring.
- Any oil well or facility in Saskatchewan where the combined vented and flared volumes of associated gas are greater than 900 m³/day may be subject to an audit by the ministry.
- Licensees of oil and gas wells and facilities licensed under The Oil and Gas Conservation Act are required to comply with Directive PNG036
- Licensees may make an application to the ministry as outlined in Directive PNG036.
3. How To Apply
To submit an application:
- Prepare a cover letter indicating the purpose and justification for the application
- Submit technical justification that supports the application. Documents to support an application may include but are not limited to:
- Gas analysis
- Dispersion model
- Maximum and average flare and vent volumes
- Gas production forecasts
- Facility or well survey showing nearby residences/dwellings.
- Combine all documents in a PDF for submission.
- Log in to IRIS and complete the appropriate application.
- The applicant will be notified through IRIS whether the application for authorization is approved or denied.