Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Well Abandonment Application

Apply for authorization to abandon a well, perform a downhole abandonment, or cut and cap a well, for wells drilled for upstream oil and gas, or potash, in Saskatchewan. 

1. Guidance

Under The Oil and Gas Conservation Act, authorization by the Ministry of Energy and Resources is required to abandon a well, perform a downhole abandonment, or cut and cap a well, for wells drilled for upstream oil and gas or potash in Saskatchewan.

See the Directive PNG015: Well Abandonment Requirements for more information.

In emergency situations, call 1-844-764-3637, the ministry's Petroleum and Natural Gas Emergency Support Line, for verbal authorization to perform abandonment activities. Emergency authorization must be followed by an email confirmation to the appropriate Ministry Field Office, and requires an application for authorization to be submitted through the Integrated Resource Information System (IRIS).


2. Eligibility

Applicants must:


3. How To Apply

To apply for a well abandonment authorization:

  1. Ensure you meet all eligibility requirements.
  2. Log in to IRIS and complete the appropriate application process for authorization and attach the required documents.
  3. Please refer to the Gas Migration and Surface Casing Vent Flow form for completing surface abandonment.
  4. Please refer to the Cut and Cap form for cut and cap reporting.
  5. For a project abandonment involving commingled shallow gas completions, please refer to Guideline PNG015: Applications for Commingled Abandonments.

4. Apply


5. Further Information

Additional authorization may be required if issues exist with gas migration and surface casing vent flow after abandonment is complete. For more information, see Gas Migration and Surface Casing Vent Flow Reporting.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve