Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Commingled Production Application

An oil and gas company may apply to commingle oil, gas, or water production from two or more pools of the same resource through a common well casing or a single tubing string.

1. Guidance

As outlined in Section 52 of The Oil and Gas Conservation Regulations, 2012, an operator must apply for and receive approval from the Minister of the Economy to commingle production before recompleting a well, unless otherwise approved by a Pool Order.

Need information on how to apply for commingled disposal wells? Visit the Disposal/Injection Wells page.


2. Eligibility

Application to commingle production can be made when:
  • A stabilized production rate of at least six months is established in one of the pools to be commingled. 
  • There isn’t a waterflood or Enhanced Oil Recovery project in the immediate area.
  • One of the pools to be commingled is producing at such a marginal rate that segregating production or drilling a twin well can’t be justified.
  • The pools have compatible producing characteristics and reservoir properties, such as similar sandface pressures. 
  • The pools are in close proximity in terms of producing depth. 
  • Oil or gas pools to be commingled don’t contain significant underlying water identified in either logs or through production.
  • Oil pools to be commingled don’t contain gas zones identified in either logs or through production. 
  • The interests in all pools are identical, including:
    • Mineral ownership;
    • Lessee(s) and partners;
    • Well ownership and operator; and
    • Farm-in agreements.
If the recompletion of a well results in more than one well producing from the same pool in a drainage unit, or a violation of the setbacks between wells producing from the same pool, justification for a spacing modification must be included as part of the commingling application.

An applicant must have an Integrated Resource Information System (IRIS) account and the appropriate permissions assigned by their IRIS Security Administrator to submit a commingling application.


3. How To Apply

To apply to commingle production:
  1. Review the proposed completion’s drainage unit, setbacks, and target area. Confirm the recompletion of a well won’t result in:
    • More than one well producing from the same pool in the drainage unit;
    • A violation of the setbacks between wells producing from a pool; or
    • An off-target well status.
  2. Refer to Instructions for Determining Oil and Gas well Spacing Using the InfoMap to determine the drainage unit or setback between wells.
    • If the well violates the drainage unit or interwell setback, a well spacing modification form must be included with the commingling application. 
    • If the proposed completion is off-target, a production penalty may be applied to the commingled production, unless one of the following is included with the application:
      • A completed Public Notice Process package; or
      • Consent letter(s) from the offsetting mineral owners waiving the off-target penalty.
  3. Complete the Application to Commingle Production Form. See the Form Instructions tab of the application for details.
  4. Complete the Reclassification/Recompletion Form (part of reservoir), if required. For more information, see Guideline PNG024: Reclassification and Recompletion.
  5. Confirm that all the information is complete and accurate, and forms are dated and signed. Ensure all required attachments are included:
    • Combine the following documents into a single “Application to Commingle” document:
      • Application to Commingle Production form
      • Well log
      • Production chart(s)
      • Wellbore schematic
      • Project map(s)
    • If required, also include:
      • Well Spacing Modification Application Form and any required attachments.
      • Reclassification/Recompletion Form (part of reservoir) and any required attachments.
      • Any other supporting documents.
      • Completed Public Notice Process package and consent letters must be attached separately, if part of the application.
  6. Log in to IRIS and complete the appropriate application process for authorization and attach the required documents.


4. Apply


5. Further Information

Upon approval, pending status for a commingled completion is available for immediate reporting in IRIS. The applicant has one year to report on the completion or the authorization expires. If it expires, the well is no longer authorized to commingle, and a new application is required.

The comminglement approval includes a production allocation for each stratigraphic unit. This production allocation is for Ministry use in the yearly crude oil and natural gas reserves calculations only, and is subject to change.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve