Surrender a complete or partial Crown oil and gas tenure agreement in Saskatchewan.
Saskatchewan's Ministry of Energy and Resources is responsible for administering mineral rights owned by the Crown. The Ministry issues dispositions to industry to convey the rights to the oil and gas resources.
Industry may surrender Crown oil and gas tenure agreements either by:
- Complete Surrender: This type of application surrenders a mineral disposition in its entirety. All lessees must execute the surrender. An applicant may surrender multiple mineral dispositions with the common lessees on one application.
- Partial Surrender: This type of application surrenders a portion of the mineral disposition's lands and/or rights. All lessees must execute the surrender. An applicant may surrender only one mineral disposition per application.
To surrender a Crown oil and gas tenure agreement:
- The applicant has an Integrated Resource Information System (IRIS) account and the appropriate permissions assigned by their IRIS Security Administrator.
- Surrendering parties must be the registered lessees.
- All mineral disposition lessees must sign (execute) the Ministry's complete or partial surrender form.
- Surrender of mineral rights to meet an offset must be for all formations covered by the lease, except any zone which petroleum and natural gas is being obtained by the lessee. Surrender applications must be received prior to the date the offset obligation is to be met.
- Mineral dispositions within a unit may not be surrendered through this process.
How to Apply
Log in to IRIS and complete the appropriate application process in the Petroleum Tenure module and attach the required documents:
- Signed surrender form
- Other supporting documentation
The applicant will be notified through IRIS whether the transfer application is approved or denied.
For more information see The Oil and Gas Tenure Registry Regulations.