Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Licence to Construct and Operate Oil and Gas Facilities

How to apply to the Ministry of Energy and Resources to construct and operate an upstream oil and gas facility in the province. 


1. Guidance

A facility licence must be obtained from the ministry before constructing and operating an upstream oil and gas facility in Saskatchewan.

Read the following directives and guidelines for regulatory requirements related to facilities and their operation in Saskatchewan, as well as information to assist you in applying for a licence:


2. Eligibility

Before applying for an upstream facility licence, you must:

  • Have an Integrated Resource Information System (IRIS) account and the appropriate permissions assigned by the IRIS Security Administrator to submit a facility licence application.
  • Be registered with Information Services Corporation (ISC) as a corporation to do business in Saskatchewan.
  • Obtain surface lease or access agreement from the surface owner of the chosen site.
    • If on Freehold lands, surface rights must be obtained from the landowner.
    • If on Crown land, obtain surface rights from either the Government of Saskatchewan's Ministry of Agriculture or Environment, depending on the location.
  • Contact the Rural Municipality to determine if a development permit is required.
  • Obtain environmental clearance from the Ministry of Environment.
  • Obtain a Heritage Resource Review through the Government of Saskatchewan's Ministry of Parks, Culture and Sport (Heritage Branch).
  • Submit a $10,000 non-refundable Orphan Fund fee if the licensee has not previously held a well/facility licence pursuant to The Oil and Gas Conservation Regulations, 2012 in the province of Saskatchewan. Use the Orphan Fund Fee Payment Form to submit the 'Orphan Fund - First Time Application Fee' to the Government of Saskatchewan.

3. How To Apply

To apply for a licence to construct and operate an upstream facility:

  1. Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria listed above.
  2. Complete the Facility Licence Application (PDF) (Excel) in accordance with the Directive PNG001: Facility Licence Requirements.
  3. Prepare the required documents:
    • Facility Survey (required)
    • Equipment Spacing Diagram (required)
    • Dispersion Modelling
    • Economic Evaluation
    • Process Flow Diagram (required)
    • Exemption Request Report
    • Waste Processing Application
    • Third-Party Engineering Report
    • Public Notice/Consents
  4. Log in to IRIS and complete the appropriate application process for authorization and attach the required documents as separate PDFs.
  5. The licensee will be notified through IRIS whether the facility application is approved or denied.

4. Apply


5. Further Information

For more information on licensed facilities in the province, see:

Cancelling or Amending a Facility Licence

  • Facility licences can be cancelled by the licensee any time before construction by contacting the ministry's Petroleum and Natural Gas Support at 1-855-219-9373 or
  • Facility construction must be completed within 2 years of the date of issue or the ministry will cancel the licence.
  • To amend a facility licence, complete the Facility Licence Application process as outlined in the 'How To' section.

Reporting Facility Production through Petrinex

Once a facility licence has been issued, the Business Associate can use the facility licence number and location to obtain a Facility ID from Petrinex. Petrinex is the system industry uses to report volumetric, valuation and royalty taxpayer and some infrastructure data to the Government of Saskatchewan.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve