Renseignements en français

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Office of Residential Tenancies

The ORT introduction video is also available in the following languages:
Amharic, Arabic, ASL, Azerbaijani, Cantonese, Cree, Dene, Ewe, French, German, Hindi, Korean, Mandarin, Patois, Pidgin, Polish, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese and Yoruba.

The Office of Residential Tenancies (ORT) is an agency independent of government that provides information about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants in Saskatchewan. When landlords and tenants cannot resolve disputes on their own, both have the right to ask the ORT to make rulings and settle the dispute. The ORT is independent, free from outside influence, and impartially decides applications without favour for either landlords or tenants.

Notice: The ORT posts decisions on CanLII, similarly to other courts and administrative tribunals. See section 4 of this page for further information.


1. ORT News and Notices

Beginning March 3, 2022: Applications should be submitted through the ORT's new online portal. The online portal allows residential landlords and tenants to login using their business or individual Saskatchewan Account to create notices; submit applications, evidence, photos and other documents; and make payments 24 hours a day. By using the online portal, you will have immediate access to and know the current status of your submission(s).

Rent Arrears and Monetary Claims: A landlord now has the option to claim any outstanding rent or utility arrears at the time of a possession hearing for rent and/or utility arrears. See the updated Form 7 - Immediate Notice to Vacate and Notice of Arrears for more information.

Amendments to the Residential Tenancies Act and Regulations: On September 15, 2021, The Residential Tenancies Amendment Act, 2021, and The Residential Tenancies Amendment Regulations, 2021, came into force.


The ORT is now holding virtual residential tenancies clinics twice a month. Space is limited.

Email us to sign up

Non-Compliant List:

If you have an outstanding order against a landlord or tenant and the 30 day appeal period has expired, you can contact the ORT in writing with the necessary details and the ORT may place the party on the non-compliance list as per The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006:

70(14) The director may refuse to issue a written notice of hearing to, and a hearing officer may decline to make an order respecting, a landlord who: (a) is in contravention of an order made pursuant to this Act; or (b) has failed to forward a security deposit and any accrued interest to the director pursuant to section 33.


2. Information You Might Be Looking For

A landlord is entitled to make reasonable rules that may prohibit the use, sale, or distribution of cannabis in a rental unit. These rules must be in writing and brought to the tenant's attention.

A tenant has the right to make an application with the ORT if they believe the rules are unreasonable.

See section 22.1 of The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006.

Have an ORT Hearing? Check out the Preparing for a Hearing section on the Settling Disputes and Steps to a Hearing page.

The Office of Residential Tenancies can help to provide information about and make decisions regarding:

Tenancy Agreements

Information on tenancy agreements that tenants and landlords can use in Saskatchewan and the responsibilities of each party.

Security Deposits

Learn about your rights and responsibilities surrounding security deposits as a landlord or tenant.

Rent Increases and Tenancy Fees

Find information on rent increases in different situations as well as any fees that may be charged to a tenant in Saskatchewan.

Requesting Repairs

Learn what your rights and responsibilities are as a landlord or tenant when it comes to requesting repairs to a rental property.

Bed Bugs and Other Pests

Learn about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants if there is an infestation of bed bugs or other pests in a rental property.

Landlord's Right to Enter a Rental Property

Learn when a landlord may enter your rental unit.

Rights and Responsibilities of Landlords and Tenants

Learn about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants during the period of a rental agreement.

Ending Tenancies

Find information on what is required of the landlord and tenant leading up to and following giving notice to end a tenancy.

Cleaning at the End of a Tenancy

Learn what a landlord can enforce in a tenancy agreement regarding cleaning and how this may affect a security deposit. You will also find information on how to submit a claim to the Office of Residential Tenancies if there is a disagreement surrounding cleaning and the security deposit.

Property Left Behind by a Tenant

Information on the responsibilities of landlords and tenants when property is left behind after a tenant vacates.

Settling Disputes and Steps to a Hearing

Information about settling disputes, making claims, limitation periods, serving parties, gathering evidence, preparing for a hearing, and enforcing an order.

Did you know...

A lease or other contract, either written or verbal, is legally binding and can only be changed by mutual agreement of the landlord and tenant, with one exception – a landlord may raise rent on proper notice.

The landlord and tenants may agree to a change of the services provided, for example to install meters to charge for utilities rather than including utilities. If the landlord can not obtain the agreement of tenants to the change, usually by a reduction in rent, the landlord may apply for an order from this Office to allow the change and set the conditions.


3. NEW: ORT Online Public Access

ORT clients can now create notices and submit applications, evidence, photos and other documents online. Clients can review the status of their application from start to finish, making access to information easier and reducing wait times.

For new users, you will need to register for a Saskatchewan account.

* Please note that the business landlord organization account should be created by the owner/director of the business. Employees can then be invited to submit on behalf of the business.

Once you are registered, you can access this service.

Online ORT Public Access

4. Forms, leases and other documents

Find approved forms, sample leases and other documents from the Office of Residential Tenancies.

The Public Legal Education Association (PLEA) Renting a Home webpage provides general information.

Having trouble downloading our forms?

Problems downloading Office of Residential Tenancies forms are typically related to the type of browser you are using. Our forms are in PDF format and downloading works best with Internet Explorer, which uses Adobe Acrobat Reader as the resident PDF viewer. Browsers such as Firefox or Google Chrome have their own built-in PDF viewer, which will not read a PDF form.

Read Adobe's explanation on how to change the PDF viewer within your Browser to Acrobat Reader, which will open a PDF formatted document.

You may also try this:

  • Right mouse click on the form you wish to open;
  • Select "save target as";
  • Save the form locally on your computer;
  • Use Acrobat Reader to open the form.

5. ORT Decisions

Decisions of Hearing Officers made under The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 are available on the Canadian Legal Information Institute (CanLII) website.

To facilitate research, note that any appeals to the Court of King's Bench and Court of Appeal are cited in the fifth line of the tombstone data at the top left. Many are unreported decisions of the courts. Court of King's Bench decisions that are reported in CanLII will be linked for convenience of access.

Search tips:

  • If you want cases about "bed bugs" or "cleaning," search that phrase. You may wish to use an asterisk: "clean*" will return all cases with the word "clean" as well as "cleaning" and "cleaner" and other variations of the word "clean."
  • If you want cases about a specific section of the Act, enter that number. For example you could enter "49" to search for decisions about the obligation to maintain rental property.

6. Legislation and Rules of Procedure

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve