The tenancy agreements video is also available in the following languages:
Amharic, Arabic, ASL, Azerbaijani, Burmese, Cantonese, Cree, Dene, Ewe, French, German, Gujarati, Hindi, Karen, Korean, Mandarin, Patois, Pidgin, Polish, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Tamil, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese and Yoruba.
Under The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 (the Act), and The Residential Tenancies Regulations, 2007 (the Regulations), tenancy agreements in Saskatchewan may be periodic (weekly or monthly) or fixed term (three months to less than 20 years), and verbal or written.
Schedule 1: Standard Conditions of a Tenancy Agreement are conditions applicable to every tenancy agreement.
Verbal Tenancy Agreements
The landlord must provide all tenants with the address for service and telephone number of the landlord (or the landlord's agent), an emergency telephone number (if different than the service number), and a copy of Schedule 1 within 20 days of the tenancy start date.
Written Tenancy Agreements
This agreement requires a signed copy of any written agreement be provided to all tenants within 20 days of the tenancy start date. The following items must be included in the written agreement:
- a copy of Schedule 1;
- legal names of landlords and tenants;
- rental unit address;
- tenancy agreement date;
- landlord's (or their agent's) service address and phone number;
- landlord’s (or their agent’s) emergency phone number;
- tenancy start date;
- type of tenancy (periodic or fixed term);
- if fixed term, the tenancy end date;
- amount of rent payable (if desired, amount of rent per additional approved occupant);
- day in the month which rent is due;
- provision identifying who pays for which utilities;
- provision identifying services and facilities included with the rent; and
- the amount of any security deposit and the date it was or must be paid.
All fixed-term tenancies MUST include an end date in the written agreement.
At least two months before the tenancy end date, the landlord (or their agent) MUST notify the tenant of their intentions regarding renewal of the tenancy agreement on the approved form. The approved form is available through the online portal under New Notice for a landlord, titled Term Lease – Two Month Notice of Intention Form. A tenant shall provide written notice to the landlord of their agreement to the landlord’s renewed terms within one month of the notice date. If the tenant does not provide written notice of their agreement, the tenant shall vacate at the end of the tenancy.