The landlord's access to rental properties video is also available in the following languages:
Amharic, ASL, Azerbaijani, Cantonese, Cree, Dene, French, Hindi, Korean, Mandarin, Pidgin, Polish, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese and Yoruba.
Unless the tenant gives permission to enter, landlords must provide:
- a Notice of Entry form 24 hours in advance and not more than seven days before they enter a rental unit.
A Notice of Entry form must state:
- a reasonable purpose for entry;
- a maximum four-hour period between the hours or 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.;
- a date of entry cannot be a Sunday or any other day of religious worship for the tenant.
In the event of an emergency when the entry is necessary to protect life or property or if the landlord has sufficient information to reasonably believe that the tenant has abandoned the rental unit, a landlord may enter the rental unit without giving notice.
Showing the Unit
When a tenant gives notice to vacate, and the landlord and tenant agree in writing to reasonable arrangements for the landlord to show the rental unit, the rental unit may be shown in accordance with those arrangements.
Otherwise, the landlord may enter the rental unit to show it to prospective tenants:
- with the tenant's permission; or
- two hours after the tenant receives notice that the rental unit will be shown, or
If none of the above applies, the landlord may enter to show the rental unit if either:
- the landlord has made reasonable efforts, two hours or more before the entry, to contact the tenant at a telephone number or email address provided for that purpose;
- or if the tenant has not provided the landlord with a telephone or email address to contact the tenant for the purpose of showing the rental unit.
When entering under either of the above two circumstances, the landlord must post a notice on the door of the rental unit to inform the tenant of the time and date of the entry to show the rental unit.
The general rules for entry apply when property is being shown for sale.