Business and Private Signs
Identification signs may be installed to identify or give directions to a rural business or organization.
A business and/or private sign located outside the incorporated limits of any organized hamlet, village, town or city adjacent to a provincial highway may be eligible to install this type of sign.
Identification signs may display only the following:
- the name of the owner, occupier of the land, the name of the business or the activity, for which the sign is put up;
- the type of business or activity;
- directions to the business or activity;
- the logo, slogan, address or telephone number of the business or activity; and
- an advertisement respecting the goods or services provided by the business or the activity, but only if the sign is on the same land as that on which the business or activity is being carried on.
An identification sign may be installed by:
- an enterprise, non-profit, religious or community organization;
- whose facilities are outside a city, town, village or organized Hamlet; and
- accessible by, an all-weather road from the highway being served by the sign.
Identification signs are subject to provincial legislation and all bylaws established by the municipality in which the sign is located.
Enterprise or organization located in a commercial area will not be eligible under this policy for identification Signs outside the commercial area. They may be eligible under the RSMM 1240-70 Sign Corridor Policy.
RSMM 1220-00 General Conditions provides general information on permits, design, location and sight line requirements.
You can find specific information on enterprise and organization signs in the policy below.
To apply for an Identification Sign, fill out the application form.
Digital and Projected Active Displays (DPADs) or Electronic Billboards
DPADs are a private signing opportunity that can be installed along a provincial highway, if they meet the conditions outlined in the below Roadside Management 1240-85 policy.
You can find specific information in the DPADs policy below.
To apply for a DPAD sign, fill out the application form.