Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Election Signs

Election and political signs are used by political parties before, during, and after an election to promote candidates. However, the placement of these signs needs to be balanced with safety.

Political signs incorrectly placed along the highway can be a distraction and a safety hazard for motorists. An election sign, regardless of size or location, can only be placed after an election writ has been issued and needs to be removed within seven calendar days after the election date.

An election sign does not require a permit if it is no larger that three square metres and meets one of the following:

  1. Is at the outer edge of the highway property (the green area in the diagram below); or
  2. Is on private land with the property owner's permission (the brown area in the diagram below).

An election sign requires a permit if it is larger than three square metres. These larger signs cannot be placed in the right-of-way. A property owner's permission would also be needed, if the permit is requested for an election sign on private land. Permits are obtained through the Ministry of Highways by contacting the appropriate regional office. Contact information for regional offices can be found using our Area Contact Map.

Election sign allowance in right of way

An election sign cannot be placed if it:

  • has one or more flashing lights or moving parts
  • resembles an official sign that could cause confusion for motorists;
  • interferes with the sight lines of motorists at an intersection or railway crossing;
  • is in a ditch, median, roadway or on an approach to a provincial highway or fails to size specifications.

Check with local municipalities about their bylaws regarding an election sign inside the incorporated limits of a city, town, village or other community.

Review and download the Election and Political Sign Summary for more information.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve