Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Hunting Licences

Buy a hunting, angling or trapping licence through HAL — the government’s hunting, angling and trapping licence system.


HAL lets you buy online 24/7 at your convenience. You can still buy licences at issuers or by phone.


Whether you are an in-province, out-of-province or out-of-country hunter, there is important residency and licence information that you will need to know before buying a licence.

The hunting opportunities available to you are based on your residency.  Ensure you understand the residency requirements and select the correct residency type when purchasing your licence. 

A Saskatchewan resident is a:

  • Canadian resident whose principal residence is in Saskatchewan, who has been living in the province for three months prior to applying for a licence and possesses a valid Saskatchewan Health Services Card.
  • member of the regular force of the Canadian Armed Forces who is stationed and residing in the province; or
  • member of the regular force of the Canadian Armed Forces who was a Saskatchewan resident when recruited or deployed from the province.

All Saskatchewan residents must ensure their name is recorded exactly as it appears on their valid Health Services Card when creating a HAL account.  Health services numbers will not be recorded.

Members of the Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP can use their regimental numbers when establishing their HAL account.

A Canadian resident is a:

  • person other than a Saskatchewan resident whose principal residence is in Canada, and who is a Canadian citizen or has resided in Canada for 12 months immediately before his/her application for a licence.

A non-resident is a:

  • person other than a Canadian or Saskatchewan resident.

Youth hunters (under 18 years of age)

  • While hunting, youth aged 12 to 15 inclusive, must be under the direct supervision of an adult who is at least 18 years of age.  Youths aged 16 to 17 may hunt unsupervised.
  • Youths aged 12 to 15 must have a parent or guardian complete the consent portion of the Saskatchewan hunting licence. Youth hunters and their parent or guardian are reminded that each subsequent licence purchase or reprint will require completion of the consent section.
  • A youth game licence includes both an either-sex white-tailed deer licence and a game bird licence. Youth wishing to hunt waterfowl must purchase a Federal Migratory Game Bird Permit, except during Waterfowler Heritage Days.
  • A free youth fur licence is also available with the youth game licence or as a stand-alone licence with the purchase of a Wildlife Habitat Certificate. Youth fur licences are only available at Ministry of Environment field offices. First-time trappers must successfully complete a recognized humane trapper education course or pass an equivalency test available from Ministry of Environment offices.
  • Federal firearm legislation requires a youth hunter to be under the supervision of someone who holds a Federal Possession Acquisition Licence (PAL).
  • If a youth hunter possesses a Federal Minors' Licence, they can hunt without supervision once they reach 16 years of age.

People born after January 1, 1971, must graduate from a recognized firearm safety/hunter education course in order to hold or apply for a Saskatchewan game or fur licence. Individuals may be asked to present proof of training when purchasing or applying for a licence or upon a compliance check by conservation officers.

  • You can contact the Saskatchewan Association of Firearm Education (SAFE) to check your status or to obtain documentation of successful completion (306-352-6730 or
  • If you have received your training outside of Canada or the United States, contact the SAFE or a ministry office to confirm that the training is recognized in Saskatchewan.

It is a violation to:

  • Use more than one HAL ID number for the purpose of obtaining or applying for a licence.
  • Hold or apply for a licence or the big game draw while suspended.
  • Hold a regular and a draw big game draw licence for the same species.
  • Hold two licences of the same licence type in any one year.
  • Use or carry another person’s big game licence, seal or certificate while hunting.

How To Buy A Licence

Licences are available:

Licence purchases can be made by accessing your existing account using your HAL identification number of your previously registered secondary identification number. Do not create a second account. For assistance with your account, call 1-855-848-4773 (8 a.m. to 9 p.m.)

Remember — your HAL ID is a one-time, permanent and personal number. 

Buy A Licence

Purchase a Licence

Further Information

If you need help with your account, or have additional questions about buying a licence, call 1-855-848-4773 (8 a.m. to 9 p.m.).

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve