Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Saskatchewan Income Support (SIS)

The Saskatchewan Income Support (SIS) program helps people in need meet their basic needs while they become more self-sufficient and independent to the best of their abilities.

SIS takes a whole income approach by providing a monthly financial benefit to individuals and families for shelter and basic needs, that recognizes other sources of income (such as a part-time job, federal benefits and income tax refunds), and provides increased earned income exemptions.

SIS clients also receive one-on-one support from Social Services staff, who help them build skills, make effective connections to training and employment and support positive choices to achieve their goals.

Most SIS clients are successful in managing their money and paying their own bills, such as rent and utilities. For clients with complex challenges, the ministry may make direct payments of shelter benefits available for rent, utilities and security deposits on their behalf. Clients may also receive help to pay their bills through trusteeship and money management support services.


1. Benefits

The actual amount of money you get will depend on your situation. If eligible, you will get a monthly benefit amount that reflects your circumstances. For example, if you:

  • have a spouse/partner;
  • have children;
  • pay for a place to live such as rent or a mortgage; or
  • live in a remote northern community.

Your circumstances are assessed every month so the amount you're paid may change. Along with SIS benefits, clients can also receive income from other sources, such as federal benefits, income tax refunds or employment.

Employment Incentives

Monthly Earned Income Exemptions

  • Single – $375
  • Couple without dependent children – $475
  • Family – $500

Note: Families with children earning more than $500 per month can apply for the new Saskatchewan Employment Incentive.

Benefits and Rates*

Notice: These rates are effective as of May 1, 2024.

Basic Benefit – includes food, clothing, travel, personal and household items (monthly rate)

Outside Northern Administration District Within Northern Administration District
Adult Basic Benefit $355 Adult Basic Benefit $425
    Children's Basic Benefit $65/child

Shelter Benefit – includes rent, mortgage payments, utilities, taxes and all other shelter-related costs (monthly rate)

  Singles Couples
(without dependent children)
(1-2 children)
(3+ children)
Saskatoon/Regina $650 $830 $1,065 $1,245
Remainder of the province $590 $720 $820 $925

Health and Safety

Household Health and Safety Benefit up to $500 to help replace household items or set up a new residence due to a disaster or interpersonal violence.

An additional shelter Stabilization Benefit ($150/month) can be provided to support clients who have difficulty maintaining stable housing.

Short Term Emergency Assistance may be considered to address emergency situations that are unforeseen and when failing to do so would result in harm.

Prescribed Diet Benefit for clients whose medical conditions require additional nutritional supplements or food. The benefit ranges from $50 to $150 depending on the conditions.

Travel Benefit outside of community for medical purposes, job interviews or the commencement of employment at pre-determined rates for mileage, meals and shelter.

Alternate Heating Benefit ($190/month) can be provided for clients who reside in a household where natural gas is not accessible and are required to heat their home with an alternate heat source.

Change in Circumstances

Employment and Training Benefit ($140) to help with costs of starting a career or beginning a training program.

Children's Benefit ($400) for a parent who is not eligible to receive the Canada Child Benefit for food, clothing, household items, and other child-related costs.

Licensed Child Care Benefit for clients who are employed, in training/school, or have a medical need and have children in licensed child care. 

Child Care Benefit ($30/day) to help in the short term when looking for employment or going to a job interview.

Relocation Benefit of $200 or $300 depending on household size to assist with moving costs due to health and emergencies, evictions for reasons beyond client's control, starting a job outside of the community or finding a more affordable place to live within the Shelter Benefit rates.

Travel Benefit outside of the community for job interviews or commencement of employment at pre-determined rates for mileage, meals and shelter.

Security Deposit can be provided up to amount of the Shelter Benefit.

Funeral Benefits will be provided to support the costs of funerals.


2. Eligibility

Any person who needs financial help can apply for income support.

You may be eligible if the following apply to you (and your spouse/partner, if you have one):

  • you are a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status or are in Canada under the Canada Ukraine authorization for emergency travel;
  • you are living in Saskatchewan;
  • you are 18 years or older;
  • you have no income or low income; and
  • you have explored every other reasonable way to support yourself, including employment, seeking child support, etc.

3. How To Apply

You will need to provide:

  • Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and Saskatchewan Health Services Number (HSN) – if you do not have a valid SIN or HSN, please provide verification that you have applied;
  • Information about your spouse/partner and/or children, including their SIN and HSN;
  • Details about money available to you, including cash, money in the bank, investments, RRSPs, stocks, bonds, GICs, etc.;
  • Details of items you own, such as property and vehicles;
  • Details on other benefits and/or pensions you are receiving;
  • Documents about your living situation such as a rental or tenancy agreement; and
  • A bank statement for all account(s) in your and your spouse’s name(s), if applicable.

You will have 30 days from the date you apply for SIS to provide the ministry with the required information, including:

  • A direct deposit authorization form;
  • Information about any money you have, including cash, savings, investments, RRSPs, GICs, etc.;
  • Details of items you own, such as property and vehicles;
  • Information about any other benefits and/or pensions you are receiving; and
  • Completion of the mandatory service questionnaire for yourself and, if applicable, your spouse.

4. Apply

Required documents and forms to apply for SIS

To receive your benefits, please provide ALL of this information:

  • application form (completed online or over the phone);
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) and Saskatchewan Health Services number (HSN) – if you do not have a valid HSN, please provide verification that you have applied;
  • information about your spouse/partner or children, including their SIN and HSN;
  • income information, such as pay stubs;
  • documents about your living situation, such as a rental agreement;
  • a bank account in your name;
  • a Direct Deposit Authorization form;
  • any money you already have, including cash, savings, investments, RRSPs, GICs, etc.;
  • details of items you own, such as property and vehicles; and,
  • any other benefits and/or pensions you are receiving.

The Service Level Screening must also be completed over the phone within 30 days of submitting your application. This screening helps us determine how we can best help you.

Apply online

Applying online offers self-service features such as the ability to change your address, update your contact information and upload documents to support any changes in your circumstances as they happen. You can also enable your account to receive text messages that will be sent to you to confirm we have received your changes or supporting documents.

Learn how to access the client dashboard by viewing these instructions.

To apply online, you need to:

  1. Sign in or register to create a Saskatchewan Account. You must have an active email address to apply online.
  2. Allow 25 minutes or more to answer all the questions and attach documents that verify your information, such as pay stubs, rental agreements, etc.
  3. You can access your online application 24 hours a day, save and exit at any time, and return within 15 days to complete and submit your application. After 15 days, your application will expire and you will have to reapply.
  4. Protect your identity: After you are finished, always remember to use the Sign Out function from your Saskatchewan account, clear history/cookies and close the browser completely.

Use these step-by-step instructions to apply online. Please use Google Chrome or Safari as your internet browser when you apply.

Apply Now

Apply by phone

Call Social Services at 1-866-221-5200 or TTY: 1-866-995-0099, or visit the nearest Social Services office from Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Social Services offices are closed on all public holidays.

Help with your application

If you need additional help to complete an online application, or if you do not have access to the internet or a phone, visit the nearest Social Services office where you can:

  • request help to complete an online application; or
  • access a computer or phone to complete and submit an application.

5. Trusteeship, Money Management and Direct Pay

While the majority of clients are successful in managing their money and paying their own bills, some clients require additional support. In these instances, the ministry may provide direct payment of shelter benefits available for rent, utilities and security deposits on their behalf, or make arrangements for a trustee to help clients manage their entire budget.

A trustee can be a friend, family member, community-based organization or advocate. Trustees work with clients to help them pay their bills and ensure their basic needs are met. Trustees develop a personal relationship with clients, assess their needs and offer services based on those needs. In some cases, trustees can help clients buy groceries or provide a weekly payment for those who have a hard time budgeting throughout the month. They can also make direct payments for some or all of a client’s bills on their behalf, until the client is able to take on some or all of that role on their own.

Clients who may require trusteeship or money management supports include those who have an intellectual disability, mental illness, addictions issue or other medical condition that impacts their ability to manage their money effectively, or those who lack knowledge about managing a monthly budget.

Clients interested in accessing trusteeship and money management supports, or direct pay of shelter benefits, should contact their income assistance worker.


6. Further Information (including: Questions and Answers)

Providing you with the right support

After you complete an application, we will ask you another set of questions about your health, education and employment history, etc. The information you provide will help us determine what service supports may best suit your needs as you move towards self-sufficiency to the best of your ability.

Maintain your benefit – Report a change in circumstances

It's important to report changes to your circumstances right away so you keep getting the right amount of money each month.

Changes can include:

  • finding or finishing a job;
  • changes to how much money you make or receive;
  • changes in your household size, for example, if you have a baby or start to care for a child or person who has a disability, you and your spouse/partner begin living together, etc.;
  • moving to a new address;
  • changes in your banking information; or
  • changes to your health, including family members.

How to report

Download the change of circumstance form(s) below and email the completed form(s) to

If you've been paid too much

You will have to repay the money if you:

  • did not report a change right away;
  • did not report any money received from any source;
  • gave wrong information; or
  • were overpaid by mistake.

Do you have questions not covered here? See: SIS Questions and Answers


7. Household Budgeting

A budget helps you decide how to spend your money. If you run into difficulties, a budget can also help you make changes to your spending.

Learn about the importance of making a household budget and the steps you can take to create one.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve