Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Language Requirements for SINP


English is the main language in Saskatchewan. You will use it to communicate with your doctor, neighbours, at work, at the store, and more.

In the Workplace

When looking for work, you will need to know English to:

  • Read about jobs.
  • Fill in an application form.
  • Write a resumé or cover letter.
  • Answer questions on the phone or in person.

You will need to be able to speak, understand, read and write in English for most jobs in Saskatchewan.

Consider Your English Language Skills

Be sure to ask yourself:

  • What level of English is needed for my job?
  • What is my current level of English language ability?
  • Can I do all the things I do at home, in my life, and work, in English?
  • What English language training can I get before I leave my home country?

Language Assessment for SINP Application

You must include an official language assessment for:

If you are a native speaker from an English or French speaking country where you are a citizen or permanent resident, then you are not required to provide the language test results unless you are applying through IRCC’s Express Entry pool. In these cases, you must meet the federal Express Entry requirements.

You will also need to include an assessment if you have a job offer in a National Occupational Classification (NOC) C or D occupation. This will meet Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)'s minimum language requirements for the Provincial Nominee Program.

There may be an English language requirement if your job offer is in a regulated occupation. Ask your regulatory body if you need to be tested for English.

Language tests must be from a designated testing agency and less than 2 years old at the time of your application to the SINP.

*Language tests are not required under the Tech Talent Pathway (non-Express Entry) if you are working for the employer offering you the job you are applying with to the SINP.

CLB/NCLC Calculators

Use a CLB Calculator to find out your CLB from your test scores. No calculator is currently available for TCF Canada.

IELTS Calculator

CELPIP Calculators

TEF Calculator

Meeting Language Requirements

Many language programs in Canada use a system called the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLBs) to describe and test how well you speak and understand English.

There are 12 benchmarks, with 12 being the highest (the strongest English skills) and 1 being the lowest. For most jobs, CLB 4 is recommended as a minimum. To learn more about the CLBs, visit the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks or take an online self-assessment.

If you need to have your language tested, you must share results from a designated testing agency. The SINP only accepts the following tests. These are equivalent to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4.

Name of Test Minimal Scores
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Listening - 4.5
Reading - 3.5
Writing - 4
Speaking - 4
The Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP-General) Listening - 4
Reading - 4
Writing - 4
Speaking - 4
The Test d’évaluation de français pour le Canada (TEF Canada) Listening - 145
Reading - 121
Writing - 181
Speaking - 181
The Test de connaissance du français pour le Canada (TCF Canada) Listening - 331
Reading - 342
Writing - 4
Speaking - 4

International Skilled Workers: Saskatchewan Express Entry and Tech Talent Pathway (Express Entry only)

Applicants to the International Skilled Worker: Saskatchewan Express Entry and Tech Talent Pathway (Express Entry only) sub-categories must show valid language test results that match the language level given in their Express Entry profiles.

Learn more about IRCC's Language requirements – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry). You can also use your test results to find your CLB level on the site.

Saskatchewan Experience: Health Professionals

For most health jobs in Saskatchewan, you need to have Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) from at least levels 7-10.

How Can I Have My English Tested?

If English is not your first language or your training was not in English, you may need to complete an English test.

Find out from your regulatory body:

  • If you need to be tested.
  • Which English tests are accepted.
  • What scores are needed.

English Tests for Health Care Professionals

Below is a list of English testing agencies for health care professionals.

Be sure to check with your regulatory body to find out which English tests are acceptable and what scores you need.


IRCC has equivalency guidelines and eligible language tests. The results of the CELPIP, IELTS, and TEF testing scores and their CLB equivalents can be found on IRCC's Language Test Equivalency Charts.

Learning English

Contact your Regional Newcomer Gateway to find out about language classes in Saskatchewan and learn which classes you are eligible to take.

See Language Training to find out more about:

  • Learning English before you come to Saskatchewan.
  • How to have your English language level assessed.
  • English language classes available in Saskatchewan.
  • How to find an English language class where you live in Saskatchewan.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve