Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Regulated Occupations and Licensing Requirements

What is My Occupation Called in Saskatchewan?

Jobs may have different titles and descriptions in different countries. It is possible that your job title in Saskatchewan is different from what you may be used to. Even when the job title is the same, you may find that the role or the work is different.

The Government of Canada's Job Bank can help you find the name of your occupation. You can also use it to find:

  • Duties of your occupation in Saskatchewan;
  • Skills needed for your occupation;
  • Demand for your occupation in Saskatchewan;
  • Jobs currently available in the province;
  • Location of employers in Saskatchewan;
  • Training for your job; and
  • Associations, regulatory bodies and unions related to your job.

Things to Consider

You need to keep the following in mind when looking for work in Saskatchewan:

  • How much money will you and/or your family need to live in Saskatchewan?
  • Can you work in your occupation of training?
  • Are you willing to work in a related field if you cannot work in your occupation of training?
  • What skills or experience can you transfer to a new occupation?
  • Do you have family, friends or colleagues that can help you find a job in Saskatchewan?

Non-Regulated Occupations

A non-regulated occupation is a profession or trade that does not have a legal requirement for certification. There are no restrictions on who can do the work. Most occupations in Saskatchewan are not regulated. The employer sets the qualifications and credential standards to work in the job.

Some non-regulated occupations have options where you can become a member of the professional association or obtain certificates. Employers sometimes ask for this as a requirement for employment. Voluntary professional associations may also have other benefits such as:

  • Occupational information;
  • Continuing education programs; and
  • Contacts with other people in the occupation.

Regulated Occupations

A regulated occupation is governed by the laws of the province, through a professional organization or regulatory body. The regulatory body has the authority to:

  • Set the requirements for you to practice, and the standards of practice;
  • Assess an applicant's qualifications and credentials;
  • Certify, register or licence a qualified applicant; and
  • Discipline members of the occupation.

Regulated occupations are in place to protect the health and safety of Saskatchewan people and provide consumer protection. Regulations ensure that those working in specific occupations meet the required standards of practice. About 20 per cent of Saskatchewan workers are employed in regulated occupations, e.g. accountants, dental hygienists, electricians.

Saskatchewan Regulatory Bodies

If your occupation is regulated in Saskatchewan, you must contact the regulatory body to find out if you have to be licensed before you begin work. The regulatory body will assess your foreign qualifications and credentials. You will be charged a fee for the assessment and it may take up to one year to complete. You may need to do the following to be licensed:

  • Complete examinations;
  • Undertake a period of supervised work experience; and
  • Prove language competency.

Some regulatory bodies have voluntary or non-compulsory certification or licensing requirements. You can do the work of the profession without registration, but if you want to use the protected title of the profession you must register with the regulatory body first.

Licensing Requirements

If your occupation is regulated in Saskatchewan, you must contact the regulatory body to learn what you will need to do to work in Saskatchewan.

Applicants to the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) intending to work in a regulated occupation must provide proof of eligibility to be licensed as part of their SINP application.

For information about how to become licensed in a regulated occupation in Saskatchewan, click on the Regulator's link below and refer to the Guide for Researching the Licensing Process. This Guide outlines five activities that you may need to do to obtain a licence for an occupation that requires mandatory or compulsory certification or licence.

Registration, Certification or Licensing

If your occupation is regulated, it will take some time to get the registration, certification or licence that you'll need to be able to practice in Saskatchewan.

Sometimes, a new immigrant applying for registration may also have to take an examination or give evidence of specialized training. Regulatory bodies or apprenticeship authorities will assess your training and experience. That way, they'll be able to determine if you need an examination or some more training to meet Saskatchewan's occupational standards.

Contact your regulatory body to find out what you'll need for your specific occupation. Each regulatory body is different.

Visit the Guide for Researching the Licensing Process to see five general types of activities you may need to do to get a licence for an occupation that requires a compulsory certificate or licence.

Please note that getting a licence from the regulatory organization or joining a professional association does not guarantee you a job. You will still need to find an employer to hire you.

Licensing for Health Care Professionals

Each regulated health care profession has its own licensing requirements for Saskatchewan. Regulated professions are governed by an organization. They are established by law to protect public safety. They do this by setting standards of practice and licensing or certifying qualified professionals.

Each province may have different rules around licensing. Licensing may also differ, depending where you were educated. Check with the health regulatory body and refer to the Guide for Researching the Licensing Process.

Working in Trades

In Saskatchewan, there are five compulsory apprenticeship trades: Electrician, Plumber, Sprinkler Fitter, Refrigeration Mechanic and Sheet Metal Worker. If your occupation is a trade you must contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission (SATCC) to find out what qualifications you need to work in the trade in Saskatchewan. To work in a compulsory apprenticeship trade you must have a journeyperson certificate or be registered as an apprentice with the SATCC.

You should also check with the SATCC, your employer and other licensing bodies related to your trade to find out if there are other requirements to work in the trade. For example: Gas and Electrical Licensing have additional requirements. For answers to common questions about the trades, go to Frequently Asked Questions on the SATCC's website.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve