Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Connecting Family Members to Saskatchewan's Labour Market

Saskatchewan residents can support the immigration of family members by helping connect them to job opportunities and providing them with settlement support.

Eligibility points are given to applicants to the International Skilled Worker sub-categories for having a connection to the Saskatchewan labour market. Points are available for an employment offer, settlement support from a close family relative, past work experience and past student experience in Saskatchewan. These connections help approved applicants successfully settle in Saskatchewan as a permanent resident.

Employment Offer

An employment offer provides applicants with the ability to apply directly to the SINP. Applicants without employment offers must be invited to apply through the Expression of Interest system.

Applicants with employment offers receive 30 points on the International Skilled Worker's Points Grid. If you are a resident of Saskatchewan who wants to help a family member immigrate to Saskatchewan, you can help them with their job search so that they can apply to the SINP to immigrate. is the largest job site in Saskatchewan. It lists job postings in entry-level, trade, professional and management positions. Jobs are listed by occupation and region. You can help your family member search for jobs on and provide them with information about how to apply for a job in Canada; how to prepare for an interview; as well as common workplace communication skills and culture in Saskatchewan.

Please visit Finding Work for helpful tips that you can share with family members.

Applying for a job requires research, planning and an understanding of employer expectations. Go to Applying for Work to learn tips about applying for a job in Saskatchewan and to find a Resume Builder.

You can help your family members learn about workplace culture in Saskatchewan, what to expect on the job and what rights and responsibilities they have as an employee by visiting In a Saskatchewan Workplace.

If your family member works in a regulated occupation, they may need to become licensed to work in their field in Saskatchewan. You can visit Regulated Occupations and Licensing Requirements to learn about the requirements and to help them prepare to work in their field.

Close Family Relative

Having a close family relative in Saskatchewan can earn a SINP applicant 20 points on the International Skilled Worker's Points Grid.

The points can be claimed if the SINP applicant or accompanying spouse has a close family relative that is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Saskatchewan. A "close family relative" only includes you if you are a parent, sibling, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, first cousin, or a step-family member or in-law of the same relationships.

Please note that if the points are claimed fraudulently, the applicant will be suspended from applying to the SINP for up to five years.

Family relatives must meet the requirements as listed under "Required Documents" for the program sub-category. They must provide:

  • A birth certificate, marriage certificate or other official documents that prove your relationship.
  • A copy of your Canadian permanent resident or citizenship card, or Canadian passport.
  • Proof that you have been living in Saskatchewan for the past 12 months:
    • Utility bills from the past 12 months from SaskPower, SaskEnergy or a city or town office. (We will not accept phone, cell or cable bills).
    • Saskatchewan Health Card or Saskatchewan driver's licence.
    • Proof that the family member is a registered tenant of a Saskatchewan address (a lease agreement and rental receipts or a proof of ownership). Include the names of other occupants at this address and their relationship to them.
    • Proof of receipt of income for the past three months.

The SINP may ask for other documents. For example, if you have children between the ages 5-17, you may be asked for copies of their enrolment in the Saskatchewan education system.

Close family members can support one application at a time (one household can support one application at a time). If a family member is already supporting a SINP application, they cannot support another application until the nominee they are supporting has lived and worked in Saskatchewan for six months. Your family member’s application will need to include documentation from their close relative regarding their previously supported applicant.

The documentation should show that the supported nominee has settled in Saskatchewan, and should include:

  • Proof of Permanent Resident status or Canadian Citizenship:
    • Canadian permanent resident card.
    • Canadian citizenship card.
    • Canadian passport.
  • Proof that they've been living and working in Saskatchewan for the past six months:
    • Utility bills from the past six months from either SaskPower; SaskEnergy; a city or town office (the SINP will not accept phone, cell or cable bills).
    • Saskatchewan Health Card or Saskatchewan Driver's licence.
    • Proof that they are a registered tenant of a Saskatchewan address (a lease agreement and rental receipts or proof of ownership) and names of other occupants at this address plus their relationship to them.
    • Proof of employment during the past six months (include copies of paystubs or a letter from their employer confirming employment). This letter should be on company letterhead.

The SINP may also ask for more documents.

Past Work and Student Experience

To claim points for past work experience in Saskatchewan, your family member will need to have worked in Saskatchewan for at least 12 months in the past five years on a valid work permit.

If they had past student experience in Saskatchewan, they can claim points if they completed at least one full-time academic year at a recognized Saskatchewan post-secondary education institution on a valid study permit.

Settlement Support

As you may know, moving to a new country with new cultures and customs involves a lot of personal change. Supports and information to support successful settlement and integration is very important for retention of newcomers in their new communities. The Government of Saskatchewan has a number of services to help newcomers settle into the province.

Even before your relative travels to settle in Saskatchewan, there are lots of things you can do to help them prepare and learn about Living in Saskatchewan. Find more information about the services they can access and other activities they can do before moving to Saskatchewan.

You can find information on the First Things to Do in Saskatchewan to help your relative as they settle in Saskatchewan. Plan to assist your relative with finding accommodation, groceries, appropriate transportation and other necessities.

Your relative may not be prepared for the cold weather in winter or the hot weather in summer. Tell your relative about the kind of weather that can be expected. If appropriate clothing isn't available in their home country, you may want to organize and collect appropriate clothing that they will need during their first few weeks in Saskatchewan.

The Government of Saskatchewan has established Regional Newcomer Gateways across Saskatchewan to help newcomers find the information, resources, services and people they need to make their move to Saskatchewan a success. There are also language training programs to improve language skills in order to better adjust to the workplace and to life in Saskatchewan. Explore the Government of Saskatchewan's language training options.

Your relative will be curious about what your community has to offer. Sending information about housing, schools and education, faith communities, recreation and special events will help make them more aware of the community. Newcomers can learn more about Saskatchewan communities through Tourism Saskatchewan.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve