Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Finding Work

Where to Look for Work

Job openings can be advertised in several places, including websites, newspapers, job fairs, and community bulletin boards.

Please note that it's against the law in Saskatchewan for anyone to charge a worker money for finding them a job. Those coming to work in Saskatchewan through provincial or federal immigration programs, either on a temporary or permanent basis, are protected by The Foreign Worker Recruitment and Immigration Services Act (FWRISA).

Job Websites

Job openings in Saskatchewan can be found on the following websites. New jobs are posted regularly on the following websites, so you should visit these sites often.

  • is the largest job site in Saskatchewan. It lists job postings in entry-level, trade, professional and management positions. Jobs are listed by occupation and region.
  • Health Careers in Saskatchewan lists health care jobs with Saskatchewan Regional Health Authorities, as well as the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency.
  • Saskatchewan Government Careers features jobs available with the provincial government.
  • The Job Bank is a Government of Canada website that helps you find jobs available across the country. It also includes information on licensing, training options, regulatory bodies, and wages.
  • Other websites with Saskatchewan job listings can be found on

Employment Services

Before You Arrive

Develop skills for your job search and improve your workplace communication skills before you arrive in Saskatchewan.

  • Settlement Online Pre-Arrival (SOPA) delivers programs and services to help you find a job and understand the Canadian workplace so you arrive better prepared to enter the workforce.

After You Arrive

Some organizations in Saskatchewan can assist you in finding a job. They can provide information on job opportunities, help you prepare job applications, provide training and education and the resources (computers, printers, and fax machines) to help you with your job search.

  • SaskJobs - Career Services provides career and employment services to Saskatchewan people in need of information on career and job opportunities, as well as training and education at different locations throughout the province. The services focus on matching the skills of Saskatchewan workers with the skill needs of employers.
  • Regional Newcomer Gateways are welcome centres for newcomers arriving in Saskatchewan. They help you find the information, resources, and services you need to make your move to Saskatchewan a success. Find a Regional Newcomer Gateway close to you.
  • French language services to help with employment are also available.

Building Canadian Work Experience

When searching for a job, having work experience in Canada may give you an advantage over other applicants. Employers may want you to have Canadian work experience because:

  • They want to know that you are familiar with the way things are done in Canada;
  • They want to know that you can operate equipment that is commonly used in Canada, as well as interact with customers appropriately; or
  • They may feel more comfortable assessing your skills in Canada rather than experience gained outside of the country.

Although it may be difficult to get Canadian work experience, there are several ways you can get this experience:

Part-time and Temporary Work

Part-time work refers to positions where you work less than 30 hours a week. It allows you to gain Canadian work experience and earn money while attending classes or caring for your family. You may also see jobs that are described as casual. Generally, this means that you do not work a regular schedule, but will be scheduled to work when you are needed.

Temporary work refers to a job that is available for a period of time, with a specific start and end date. Seasonal work means that the temporary job is available for a certain time of the year. Part-time, temporary, seasonal, and casual jobs are listed on a number of job websites.

Work Placement Programs

Work placement programs provide you with an opportunity to work for a short period in a workplace, sometimes without pay. This is an excellent way to get Canadian work experience and make contacts. You can learn more about work placement programs in your area by contacting your local Labour Market Service Office and your Regional Newcomer Gateway.

Transitional Jobs

A transitional job is different from your usual work, but it allows you to earn money while you are looking for other opportunities or waiting for certification in your occupation. For example, someone educated as a lawyer may find work as a legal assistant in a law office or with the government doing research and policy development. Transitional jobs can help you get Canadian work experience, make yourself known to employers, and improve your English skills.

Job Opportunities for Health Care Professionals

Saskatchewan has opportunities for health care workers in certain professions. Some are in high demand; while others may not be.

Check the job sites listed below to see what positions are available in your health care profession:

  • Health Careers in Saskatchewan is the provincial recruitment agency that helps job seekers find employment with the Saskatchewan regional health authorities and the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency.
  • The Saskatchewan Health Authority and the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency provide most health services in Saskatchewan, either directly or through health care organizations.
  • is the largest job-posting site in Saskatchewan. It has job postings in entry-level, trade, professional and management positions.

Not all health professionals work in the public health care system. Many regulated health professionals work in private businesses. Examples of these professionals:

As examples, dentists set up their own businesses and often hire dental hygienists and dental assistants. Many private clinics offer physiotherapy services, and private diagnostic labs also employ health care workers.

You can start your job search before you come to Canada. If you already qualify for a licence, or if you want to work in an unregulated position, you may be eligible for a temporary work permit.

How to Get a Work Permit

If you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, it is illegal for you to work in Canada without permission. In most situations, you will need a work permit.

In order to qualify for a work permit, you will need to complete the following steps:

Temporary Work

  1. Find a job in Saskatchewan.
  2. The employer will need to apply to Service Canada for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) if they do not already have one in place.
  3. When an employer receives a positive LMIA, they can then hire a foreign worker.
  4. The employer will provide a copy of the LMIA to you to attach to your application for a work permit with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  5. If your application is approved by IRCC, you will receive a work permit and you will be able to move to Saskatchewan temporarily.

You can change your job at any time in Canada if you are on a work permit, but please note that:

  • Your employer may need to apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment from Service Canada before you can start work in a different job.
  • You'll have to get a new work permit for your new job.

If you are working in Saskatchewan on a temporary work permit and meet the eligibility requirements for the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP), you can apply for permanent residence while working temporarily in the province.

Permanent Work (applying from outside of Canada)

The key steps to obtain a work permit and become a permanent resident in Saskatchewan include the following:

  1. Find a job in Saskatchewan that meets the eligibility criteria of the SINP International Skilled Worker Category.
  2. Apply to the SINP. If you meet the criteria, you will be nominated through the SINP selection process.
  3. You will receive an SINP nomination certificate which you will need to apply for a work permit (the SINP Nomination Certificate replaces a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) in this process).
  4. If you receive a work permit, you can move to Saskatchewan temporarily.
  5. Submit an application for permanent residence to IRCC as a provincial nominee.
  6. IRCC will review the application.
  7. If the application is approved by IRCC you will be issued a Permanent Resident Visa.

See Work in Canada temporarily for information on applying for a temporary work permit.

Accompanying Family Members

If you are working in Canada on a work permit, it may be possible for your spouse (husband or wife) or common-law partner and children to come with you to Canada or visit you in Canada after you have arrived.

If your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children want to work while they are in Canada, they must have their own work permit.

Contact the IRCC's Help Centre for more information on accompanying family members.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve