Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

SINP: Hiring Workers for Permanent Jobs


Please see changes made to the Job Offer letter requirements for vacation leave and overtime pay, as per April 17, 2023.

Please note:

  • The SINP's Semi-skilled Agriculture Worker subcategory no longer requires an Education Credential Assessment (ECA).
  • As of September 2022, Job Approval Forms (JAF) with candidates attached will be priority processed.
  • There are changes to required documents for work experience for International Skilled Worker sub-categories.

The SINP is currently priority processing Job Approval Forms (JAF) submitted with a Ukrainian candidate identified. Please contact for more info.

Recruit and Hire Foreign Worker Image

Obtain a Certificate of Registration (COR)

Before you can hire foreign workers in Saskatchewan, you must obtain a Certificate of Registration (COR).

If you have any questions related to the COR process or FWRISA, please contact LRWS at 306-798-1350 or

Obtain SINP Approval for the Position (Job Approval Letter)

The SINP Job Approval Letter (JAL) is a pre-approved authorization for an employer to hire a foreign worker that can apply to immigrate through the SINP. Employers must submit an online application for a SINP JAL for each occupation that you intend to fill with a foreign worker. Visit the SINP Online Application Guide for Saskatchewan Employers to learn how to use the online application system.

To be eligible for approval, all online applications for a SINP JAL must:

  • Be for a place of work that is within the geographic boundaries of Saskatchewan.
  • Be an occupation that is eligible for recruitment through the SINP. Select high-skilled, semi-skilled, and low-skilled positions are eligible (see the section below: Determining the National Occupation Code). Foreign workers would apply through the following sub-categories:
    Applying from outside Saskatchewan Canada
    • International Skilled Worker – Employment Offer: For high skilled workers (occupations that typically require post-secondary education) who are not working in Saskatchewan (may also be eligible if working in Saskatchewan). Select health professionals are eligible under this sub-category.
    • Hard-to-Fill Skills Pilot: For 28 select occupations that are in-demand and require high school education. (may also be eligible if working in Saskatchewan)
    • Tech Talent: For tech sector workers in 11 high demand occupations. (may also be eligible if working in Saskatchewan). Other tech workers can apply to the International Skilled Worker – Employment Offer program.
    Already Working in Saskatchewan
  • Be a full-time (minimum of 30 hours/week) and permanent job (no end date or at least two years in length).
  • State the hourly and annual wage. The wage must be fair and equitable to the wage paid to Canadians and permanent residents. This is demonstrated by using the benchmark or providing proof of wages paid to Canadians and permanent residents (pay stubs for current employees; cannot be below the low wage for that region). The standard benchmark used by the SINP for wages paid to foreign workers to ensure ethical recruitment is the National Job Bank’s Regional Median Wage for that occupation in Saskatchewan. The six regions include:
    • Northern Region
    • Prince Albert Region
    • Regina–Moose Mountain Region
    • Saskatoon–Biggar Region
    • Swift Current–Moose Jaw Region
    • Yorkton–Melville Region
  • State the current hours of operation and shifts per day if the position requires shift work.
  • State whether the position requires licensure or professional certification. The worker will need to provide proof of eligibility in their immigration application.
  • Include a copy of the worker’s work permit if they are currently working for the employer in Saskatchewan. Note: some SINP categories require that the worker has a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) supported work permit.
  • Show when required that the equipment necessary to do the job is currently available for the candidate to use. In the case of Truck Drivers (NOC 73300) this includes the registration information for the organization’s fleet. Only vehicles that are registered to the organization will be considered during the assessment. Please note, a maximum of two truck drivers per truck will be approved per registered qualifying vehicle.
  • Not conflict with existing collective bargaining agreements or labour disputes.
  • Include a Job Offer Letter (generic if employee not identified), which:
    • includes the contact's name, phone number, e-mail address and company mailing address;
    • indicates that the position is a permanent, full time (minimum 30 hours/week) skilled position(s) in Saskatchewan (non-seasonal);
    • indicates the wage (i.e. rate of pay) for the position being offered;
    • indicates the job title, detailed duties and responsibilities of the position being offered;
    • indicates the physical address where the candidate will be working; and
    • if you are applying under NOC 73300 the Job Offer Letter must indicate the type of vehicle to be driven - power units and semi-trailers, and trucks which have a trailer(s) or vehicle(s) in tow where the gross weight of the towed unit(s) exceeds 4,600 kg OR other type of transport truck.
    • If specific information is not provided related to the position, the Job Offer letter must state the following as per provincial legislation: "Overtime pay will be paid at the rate of at least 1.5 times the hourly wage rate."
    • If specific information is not provided related to the position, the Job Offer letter must state the following as per provincial legislation: "Employees receive a minimum of three weeks of vacation after each year of employment. Employees who complete 10 years of work with the same employer receive a minimum of four weeks of vacation. All eligible full-time, part-time, casual, temporary, and seasonal employees (including those who have not worked a full year with the same employer) receive vacation pay so they are paid during this time off work.”

Employers hiring semi-skilled or low-skilled workers through pilots/special projects must meet additional requirements. Please see these requirements below:

To apply for a JAL, submit a Job Approval Form (JAF) by accessing your online OASIS account that was used to apply for your Certificate of Registration: Click on the "Create New Preliminary Job Position Application" button to submit a job approval request to support a foreign worker for application to the SINP.

Ministry of Immigration and Career Training (ICT) will assess each online application to determine if the position meets SINP criteria for approval. If approved by Immigration Services, ICT will issue you a generic Job Approval Letter (JAL) if you did not identify a specific candidate or a candidate-specific JAL. JAFs are processed based on the following prioritization: (1) forms with candidates who are facing imminent work permit expiration (the SINP cannot guarantee that the form will be processed before the work permit expires) or candidates impacted by recent job loss with a new job offer, (2) forms with candidates identified, (3) forms without an identified candidate. JAL processing times can be found on this page: SINP Processing Times. The service standard is six weeks for processing.

You must provide a candidate-specific JAL to the foreign worker for inclusion in their application to the SINP. A JAL is valid for a period of six months from the date of approval, unless otherwise stated.

Determining the National Occupation Code (NOC)

To submit a JAF, an employer must determine the appropriate National Occupation Code (NOC) for that position. NOCs are assigned based on the job duties and responsibilities of a position. To learn more about the NOC system, please visit: About the National Occupational Classification - (, or review the 3-step tutorial on the NOC structure and frequently asked questions.

From the NOC main page you can search for your position to find the corresponding NOC. Search for the position using keywords. Review the job duties to see if they fit with the position you are looking to fill. Once you have found the NOC that most closely represents the primary duties of that position, then you can review the NOC Matrix to see which level the NOC falls under. This will assist you in determining if the position you are trying to fill is eligible for the SINP.

There are five Matrix levels which identify whether the position is high-skilled, semi-skilled or low-skilled. Learn more about the employment requirements.

High-skilled occupations:

  • TEER 0: management
  • TEER 1: jobs that usually require university education
  • TEERS 2 and 3: jobs that usually require college education or apprenticeship training

Semi-skilled (i.e., intermediate-skilled) occupations:

  • TEER 4: jobs that usually require secondary school and/or occupation-specific training

Low-skilled (i.e., entry level) occupations:

  • TEER 5: jobs that usually receive on-the-job training

Support Your Worker's Employment and Immigration

Provide the Candidate a Job Approval Letter (JAL)

Through the online application portal, if an employer obtained a generic JAL (worker's name is not included), the employer must add a candidate's name to the position, creating a candidate-specific JAL. The candidate-specific JAL must be provided to the candidate.

They will include the candidate-specific JAL in their SINP application for nomination along with their Job Offer Letter. The Job Offer Letter needs to be addressed to the Principal Applicant and written on company letterhead and match the information in the SINP JAL for the position. It must include:

  • the contact's name, phone number, e-mail address and company mailing address of the employer;
  • hours of work (to demonstrate that it is full-time, permanent);
  • the salary for the position being offered;
  • the location, job title, detailed duties and responsibilities of the position being offered; and
  • any benefits that the principal applicant will receive (e.g., health, dental, short/long term disability, accommodation, vacation entitlement etc.).

It is the employer's responsibility to make sure the candidate hired has the qualifications, skills and abilities for the position, including the language ability. Job offers must be made to persons who meet the required qualifications and licensing, and possess the skills, experience and language abilities for the position.

Employers need to review the SINP criteria to ensure that the worker they are hiring meets criteria for their immigration application. An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is not a required document for applicants with job offers; however, an ECA can help to verify whether an international worker has the education required for their intended occupation in Canada.

If the worker is approved by the SINP, they can use the nomination to apply for permanent residency and work for your business on a permanent basis.

You must maintain the employment conditions in the JAL (hours of work, duties, location, wage, etc.). The wage can increase but it cannot be decreased. It must match or be greater than the wages and benefits outlined in the JAL. You must immediately notify the SINP if there is a change to the information submitted in the JAL.

If a JAL has been submitted by a foreign worker in a SINP immigration application and you have a change to the job offer or candidate, you must contact the SINP. If a JAL has been submitted by a candidate who receives an ineligible decision on their immigration application, the same JAL cannot be used again. If your candidate’s application is sent back as ineligible for being incomplete, then the employer will need to contact the SINP to request a new JAL. It will need to be provided to the candidate within 15 days, to enable them to re-apply.

Please note that the SINP may conduct employer site-visits to ensure compliance with program criteria. These visits may be conducted at any time without prior notice.

Employers who are found in non-compliance with the terms and conditions agreed to when applying for a JAL may be subject to consequences including warnings; suspensions from use of the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP); suspension and/or cancellation of previously approved JALs; cancellation or suspension of their registration to recruit foreign workers; and/or other fines or other sanctions under The Foreign Worker Recruitment and Immigration Services Act (FWRISA).

Supporting Your Employee's Work Permit

Nominated candidates with employment offers receive a Work Permit Support Letter along with their Nomination Certificate.

If the nominee is already working in Saskatchewan on a work permit they need to maintain the validity of their work permit. As the employer, you will be required to pay the Employer Compliance Fee of $230 prior to the nominee's application for a work permit if their initial work permit is expiring (when applicable).

If the nominee is not currently working in Saskatchewan, they will use the SINP Work Permit Support Letter to apply for a temporary work permit, through the International Mobility Program, to allow them to work in Saskatchewan while they apply for permanent residency. To enable the worker you hired to start working in Saskatchewan as soon as possible, you must support their application for a temporary work permit. The nominee must apply for a work permit immediately after nomination by the SINP.

To obtain a work permit for the nominee you have hired, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires employers to complete an online form and pay an Employer Compliance Fee of $230 for each foreign national requiring an Employer-specific Work Permit. Employers submit the offer of employment form and pay the employer compliance fee through the IRCC Employer Portal. Please see the IRCC Employer Portal User Guide for information about the process. In the Employer Portal, when you "Create an offer of employment," you will use the LMIA exemption title "T13" when you are hiring a SINP nominee.

Visit IRCC to find out current processing times for IRCC issued work permits.

Most nominees must apply for a work permit online. If the nominee you hired doesn't require a temporary resident visa to enter Canada, or if they're from the U.S., Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon, they may be eligible to apply for a work permit at the port of entry into Canada, most often the airport of first landing. Visit IRCC's website to find out if you need a visa page for visa-exempt countries. If your candidate is from a country that is not visitor visa-exempt, they will need to apply for a work permit before leaving their country of origin. Please account for the work permit processing time in your plans.

Immigration Process

Immigration Application Process through the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)

Foreign workers submit applications to the SINP for nomination for permanent residency. You can view the SINP Average Processing Time, which is updated quarterly.

If a candidate meets program requirements, their application will be approved and they will receive a Nomination Certificate. You will receive a notification that your worker has been issued a Certificate of Nomination and Work Permit Support Letter.

To retain the foreign worker you hired in your workplace, it will be important to help support their integration into the workplace and to support their settlement in your community. For information on how to support your new employee, please visit Retaining Newcomer Employees.

Permanent Residence through the Government of Canada

The nominated candidates will apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for a permanent resident visa with the provincial nomination. Processing times at Canadian embassies abroad will vary.

IRCC's permanent resident application process includes health, security, and criminal reviews. Additional information may also be requested, including International Language Testing System results.



As the employer, it's your responsibility to cover the cost of recruiting foreign workers.

  • Government of Saskatchewan: There is no fee for employers for obtaining a Certificate of Registration (COR) or obtaining a Job Approval Letter (JAL) to hire a foreign worker. Note: please see the Government of Canada fees for the nominee's work permit below.

  • Government of Canada - Hiring SINP Nominees: To obtain a work permit for the nominee you have hired, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires employers to complete an online form and pay an Employer Compliance Fee of $230 for each foreign national requiring an Employer-specific Work Permit. Learn about the process. Employers submit the offer of employment form and pay the employer compliance fee through the IRCC Employer Portal.

Request a Second Review

If your application was deemed ineligible by the SINP and you believe that an error was made during application processing or in the assessment of the application based on the criteria at the time of application, then you may request a Second Review.

To support efficient processing times, Second Reviews are based on the information contained in the original application. If you want to submit new supporting documents, you will need to submit a new application. If you believe that there was a processing or procedural error made by the SINP that resulted in submitted information not being considered in the original assessment, please indicate this in your Second Review request.

Please note that you cannot submit a new application for the same position while waiting for the results of a Second Review as we can only assess one application for that position at one time.

To request a Second Review, you can submit a written request by email that states the perceived procedural error(s) made in the assessment of the Job Approval Form (JAF). The email must be sent to within 30 days of the date that the SINP issued the ineligible letter.

Employer client service staff will notify you by email that the request for a Second Review has been received. Second Review processing times vary depending on the volume of the requests received and the inventory level of applications under review.

Once the review is complete then you will be notified of the Second Review decision by email.

If the ineligible decision is overturned through a Second Review, then your application may be approved, or additional or updated information may be required from you to make a final decision on the original application.

If the ineligible decision is upheld after the Second Review, then the position will be closed. There is no further appeal or review of a closed application that has undergone an initial assessment and a Second Review.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve