Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.


If you are concerned the child's other parent may abduct your child, you should ensure that the custody/parenting arrangements in the court order or written agreement are clear. For example, clearly state the start and end dates of access or parenting time. This will assist in establishing relatively quickly that there has been a breach of custody rights. If you don't use the term "custody" in the order or agreement, you should clarify who has the right to determine where your child will live.

You may also want to go to court and ask the judge to order that the child is not to be removed from Saskatchewan without both parent's consent or court authorization. Parents may be asked at international borders to show consent from both parents or at least from the parent with decision-making responsibilities before being allowed to enter a country with a child. Airlines may also request this consent. However, border officials in many countries do not ask for written consents so the lack of written consent to travel is not a guarantee that the other parent will be prevented from entering another country with the child. For further information, refer to the Government of Canada: Recommended consent letter for children travelling abroad.

Foreign Affairs Canada has produced two publications for parents to assist them in preventing abductions. The pamphlets, International Child Abduction and Preventing International Child Abduction, are available online at International Child Abduction: A Guidebook for Left-Behind Parents.

If the child do,es not have a passport and you suspect the other parent will leave with the child, contact Passport Canada and ask that the child's name be placed on the Passport System Lookout List. For more information, refer to the Government of Canada Child safety – extra precautions for passports issued to children under 16 years of age.

If a child already has a passport, ask the court to order the parent to surrender the child's passport to the court. However, be aware that when a child is a dual citizen it may be more problematic having a foreign passport surrendered to a Canadian court.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve