Drug Cost Assistance
The Special Support Program is an income-tested program that helps residents with their drug costs in relation to their income. Applicants will receive a deductible and a co-payment for each calendar year.
The Special Support Estimate Calculator is a way to estimate your drug coverage based on the information you provide.
The Ministry of Health determines the eligibility for this program based on the income information provided in the application and the ministry's records.
Individuals or families who are covered under federal government programs, such as the federal Non-Insured Health Benefits Program or Veterans Affairs, are not eligible for the Special Support Program. Families who receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS), Seniors Income Plan (SIP) or Family Health Benefits may also apply for this program.
Families or individuals can apply to the program by completing the application form and providing income documentation. Choose an application form at the following links:
- Fill out Side A application form to provide your consent to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to release specific income information (Line 15000) to the Ministry of Health, Drug Plan and Extended Benefits Branch. No annual application required. Your coverage will be automatically renewed each year as long as you file your income tax return.
- Fill out Side B application form if you do not file income tax or would rather submit your income information. You must submit an application and income documentation every year. In the fall, you will receive a in the mail with instructions on how to renew your coverage.
- Mail, fax or email your application to the Drug Plan's Special Support Program.
- You will receive a confirmation of benefits letter when the initial application is processed.
- Special Support coverage begins on the date the Drug Plan Branch receives your completed application.
- You are encouraged to complete Side A for automatic renewal and to prevent a lapse in coverage.
3. Confirmation of Coverage
Initial application: You will receive a confirmation of benefits letter after the initial application is processed. The letter is mailed to the address on your Saskatchewan Health Card file.
- Side B: You will be required to re-apply each year by submitting a complete application with supporting income documentation. Renewal letters are mailed once they are processed.
- Side A: Coverage is automatically renewed each year. Letters for the 2024 coverage period will be available after December 1, 2023. You may request your Special Support letter if coverage is in place for the current and future calendar year. You will need to enter your nine-digit Health Services Number located on your Saskatchewan Health Card and you must select the Program Type as Special Support Program.
If you require a letter for your records, but cannot access the online Request Your Special Support letter process, select "option 2," and leave your health card number to request a letter.
Your pharmacy will be aware of your 2024 coverage when your first prescription is filled after January 2024.
5. Other Programs
Seniors may also apply for the Seniors' Drug Plan. Eligible seniors pay $25 for prescriptions listed on the Saskatchewan Formulary or approved under Exception Drug Status.
You will pay the lesser amount depending on other programs. For example:
- If your medication is $25 per prescription under the Children's Drug Plan, but $11 under the Special Support program, you will continue to pay $11 for that prescription.
- If your medication is $25 per prescription under the Seniors' Drug Plan, but $11 under the Special Support program, you will continue to pay $11 for that prescription.
There will be no change in coverage for those individuals who have drug coverage under: