This program covers the costs of prescription drugs for palliative care patients who are in the late stages of terminal illnesses. The Drug Plan manages this program.
A palliative care patient is a person who:
- Has a terminal illness with a life expectancy measured in months;
- Does not have appropriate treatment options to cure their illness or to prolong their life; and
- Requires care to improve or maintain their quality of life, including managing symptoms such as pain, nausea, and stress.
Apply for drug coverage
- A patient's physician must submit a completed Request for Palliative Care Drug Coverage Form in order to register a patient for this program.
- Upon receipt of a signed Request for Palliative Care Drug Coverage Form, the Drug Plan generates notification letters to the patient.
- A patient will still require a separate physician request for any drugs listed under the Exception Drug Status Program. Go to the Exception Drug Status page for details.
- Palliative care drug coverage is routinely backdated 30 days from the date the form is received by the Drug Plan. In certain cases where a patient is eligible for coverage but application is not made, the Drug Plan will consider backdating at the physician's request.
Drugs covered under this program
Registered palliative care patients receive prescription drugs free, if listed in the Saskatchewan Formulary or approved under Exception Drug Status. It also covers some commonly used laxatives and other adjunctive medications, on prescription request.
Dietary supplements and other basic supplies
Patients, pharmacists, or physicians should contact the Home Care office in their area to find out the dietary supplements and other basic supplies covered by the program.
Drugs not covered under this program
This program does not cover prescription drugs for cancer patients.
The Allan Blair Cancer Centre and the Saskatoon Cancer Centre Pharmacy provide approved medications used for cancer treatment at no charge to registered cancer patients through either the Allan Blair Cancer Centre Pharmacy in Regina 306-766-2816 or the Saskatoon Cancer Centre Pharmacy 306-655-2680. Patients receive these drugs when their clinic oncologists or physicians work in association with the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency.