Child Care in Saskatchewan
Families and communities are supported through Saskatchewan's Early Learning and Child Care Program. This program supports high-quality care for children in healthy, safe and nurturing environments.
Quality, regulated child care services support the social, emotional, physical, spiritual and intellectual development of children.
1. Types of Child Care
Regulated child care centres and homes:
- meet and maintain standards set by the Government of Saskatchewan;
- are monitored and supported by early learning and child care consultants; and
- have their licence reviewed every year.
Caregivers that are not regulated by the Government of Saskatchewan still need to ensure that they are operating within the permitted number and ages of children to maintain a safe environment.
2. Choosing Quality Child Care
When choosing a child care facility, always ask:
- Is the environment healthy and safe?
- How many children are being cared for by the child care home provider?
- How are children supervised?
- Do caregivers interact with the children?
- Are child care providers educated about child development?
- How is behaviour managed?
- Is the program appropriate for your child's age and needs?
- Is the caregiver easy to talk to?
- Is the child care home provider or child care centre regulated by the Government of Saskatchewan?
Be sure to discuss your expectations with child care home providers or centre directors. Always check references before deciding which service to use.
3. How to Find Child Care
Search for regulated child care providers by location using our searchable map of Saskatchewan.
4. Reporting Concerns with Child Care
If you have any concerns about your child care facility, talk to your caregiver first. If the problem is not resolved, contact the Child Care Regional Office closest to you. An early learning and child care consultant will investigate your complaint, will take action and will handle your call privately. If required, other agencies, including the Ministry of Social Services or local police, may also become involved.
You can contact the Ministry of Education's Child Care Office by calling 1-855-824-9419.
Child Care Regional Offices
- Regina – 306-787-4980
- Saskatoon – 306-933-6071
- Estevan – 306-861-2814
- Moose Jaw – 306-694-3644
- Swift Current – 306-778-8531
- Yorkton – 306-786-5770
- Humboldt – 306-682-6715
- North Battleford – 306-446-7574 or 306-446-7589
- Melfort – 306-752-6164
- Prince Albert – 306-953-3612
- La Ronge – 1-800-667-4380