Renseignements en français

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Repay Your Student Loan

Six months after you have completed full-time study, whether you have graduated, transferred to part-time studies, withdrawn, or you are taking time off, you must begin repaying your student loan. This repayment phase is called Student Loan Consolidation. Any grants you received do not have to be repaid.

The National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) manages repayment of your loan. Prior to your loans entering the repayment phase, the NSLSC will send you a Consolidation Letter that outlines your repayment terms and your minimum monthly payment. You can negotiate your payment options with the NSLSC. Some options are to:

  • Change the monthly payment amounts;
  • Pay in lump sum; or
  • Pay out your loan early.

To compare different repayment options, check out the Loan Repayment Calculator through the National Student Loans Service Centre.

Contact the NSLSC if you have not received your repayment information one month before your loans consolidate.

You are not required to make a payment for six months after completing your studies. Interest will accumulate during this time on the Saskatchewan Loan portion. Any unpaid interest accumulated during this six-month period will be added to your principal balance at the time of consolidation.

Your first loan payment is due on the last day of the seventh month after your period of study ends.

Repaying Your Loan – Fact Sheet

How to Pay off Your Student Loans Faster

Make lump-sum payments: Lump-sum payments help reduce the total interest paid on your loan. Payments made while still in school, during your non-repayment (grace) period, or even after you begin repayment are first applied to any outstanding interest and then directly toward the principal.

Increase the amount of your monthly payments: The amount you pay above your minimum monthly payments is applied directly to the principal.

Managing Your Debt – Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP)

As a borrower, you are required to repay your loan. Missing payments could damage your credit rating. Your student loan could go into default. Contact the National Student Loans Service Centre at 1-888-815-4514 before you miss a payment. There are options available to help you manage your payments and avoid defaulting.

The Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP) makes it easier to manage your debt. You pay back what you can reasonably afford, based on your family income and size. Monthly payments are limited to no more than 10 per cent of your gross family income. No borrower on RAP will have a repayment period lasting more than 15 years. If you have a disability, your RAP repayment period will not last longer than 10 years. If you earn very little income, you might not be required to make loan payments until your income increases. Contact the National Student Loans Service Centre to apply.

Monitoring Your Account

Set up an online account with the National Student Loan Service Centre to manage repaying your loan.

For questions on maintaining or repaying your loan, contact:
National Student Loans Service Centre
P.O.Box 4030
Mississauga ON  L5A 4M4

Tel: Within North America: 1-888-815-4514
Outside North America with an international access code: 1 800 2 225-2501
Countries outside of North America without an international access code:
Call the Canadian operator at 800 0800 096-0634, then call collect: 905-306-2950
TTY: 1-888-815-4556
Fax: 1-888-815-4657

National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC)

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve