Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Reporting Sexual Violence to Police

If you are in immediate danger, call 911.

Adult survivors get to decide whether they want to report their sexual assault to the police. The only exception is in the case of sexual assaults against minors, where there is a duty to report to police.

When Reporting to Police, Remember:

  • If you want to report but aren't ready yet, you can take all the time you need. There's no deadline to report about a sexual assault even if years or decades have passed.
  • You can ask to talk with a female police officer.
  • You don't have to talk to the police alone. You can take someone with you for support if you'd like and can have that person with you the entire time you are talking to police.
  • You can have someone from Victim Services help you. They can tell you what to expect and can go with you when you talk to the police. It's their job to be on your side and to help you feel safer and more comfortable.
  • You can change your mind about reporting your assault at any point, even if you’re already in the middle of a conversation with the police. If this happens you can also choose to resume reporting your assault when you are more comfortable doing so.
  • You have the right to be treated with respect.

What to Expect When Reporting to the Police

  • You can go to the police station or call the police to ask if they can meet you at your home.
  • When you meet with them, the police will tell you the steps required to report and can explain more about the process for your case.
  • You can expect the police to demonstrate respect and to assist you, but they are going to have to ask you hard questions. In order for them to investigate, they will ask you for the details of your assault. Their questions may be uncomfortable and difficult to answer. These questions are intended to ensure they get all the information from you that they need to investigate. It might be helpful to have a support person with you for this.
  • If at any point you decide not to proceed with reporting, you can ask the police what you can expect if you change your mind later.
  • You can find further information about the legal aspect of reporting by contacting PLEA or looking at the information on sexual assault on their website.
  • PLEA also operates the Listen Project, a program that provides up to four hours of free legal advice to survivors of sexual violence.

Minors and sexual assault

There is a duty to report the abuse of minors. If you, or someone you know suspects that sexual abuse is being perpetrated against someone under the age of 18, you must report it to the authorities.

Learn more about the Duty to Report and Saskatchewan Child Abuse Protocol.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve