Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Investigating Financial Abuse

An adult who is incompetent or lacks capacity may be exploited by others or may endanger his or her own financial welfare. The Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT) works to protect vulnerable adults’ property and can investigate allegations of financial abuse.

The PGT has the authority, under The Public Guardian and Trustee Act, to investigate where it has reasonable grounds to believe that a person is vulnerable and is:

  • being subjected to financial abuse by another person; or
  • likely to suffer a serious financial loss or damage because the vulnerable person is unable to make reasonable financial decisions.

A vulnerable person is anyone 16 years of age or older who has an illness, impairment, disability or aging process limitation that places the individual at risk of financial abuse.

In the course of its investigation, the PGT has the power to freeze the vulnerable person’s bank accounts and demand documents from third parties.

If an attorney under a power of attorney or a property guardian is suspected of financial abuse, the PGT can demand an accounting from that individual.  An accounting is a detailed written outline, sworn under oath, of all of actions taken and decisions made on behalf of the vulnerable adult.

Before contacting the PGT with your concerns, talk to other family members, friends, neighbours, financial institutions, health care professionals or caregivers to find out what they think of the vulnerable adult’s situation. 

You may also want to report your concerns to your local police service or the RCMP; financial abuse can be a criminal act.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve