Renseignements en français

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Child Abuse and Neglect

Child protection services are available from the Ministry of Social Services for children who are believed to be in need of protection. It is the goal of the Ministry of Social Services to keep children in their family home whenever possible and, if a child must be removed for their protection, to reunite families as soon as possible.

For children and families living on-reserve, child protection services are provided by First Nations Child and Family Services Agencies.

What is child abuse and neglect?

Abuse and neglect refers to circumstances that may be harmful to a child's physical, emotional or psychological health.

  • Physical abuse – any action, including discipline, causing injury to the child's body.
  • Sexual abuse – any action involving a child in sexual exploitation or sexual activity including touching, exposure, using a child in the making of/or viewing pornography.
  • Emotional maltreatment – expecting a child to be able to do things he or she cannot do, embarrassing or insulting a child, making hurtful comments about a child's appearance, intelligence, size, ability, etc.
  • Neglect – failing to provide a child with enough food, proper clothing, shelter, health care, or supervision.
  • Domestic violence – exposing a child to a pattern of abusive behaviour or threats of abusive behaviour by one caregiver against another (hitting, kicking, restraining, slapping, throwing objects, intimidation, stalking, etc.).

How can I stop child abuse and neglect?

As a parent, if you feel unable to safely parent your child, immediately contact your nearest Ministry of Social Services office.

As a member of the community, if you believe a child may be neglected or abused, you have a legal responsibility to immediately report your concerns.

  • Time is of the essence in ensuring the safety and well-being of children. Immediately report all incidents of suspected, observed or disclosed abuse.
  • Do not wait until you have all information before reporting the abuse.
  • You have an ongoing duty to report child abuse, even if you believe a report has already been made.
  • If you believe the child or other children must be protected from further abuse, please contact the police.
  • Do not contact the alleged perpetrator.

Reporting concerns of child abuse or neglect is everyone's responsibility. We have developed a short and informative online course (also available in French) that will take you through your duty to report and help stop child abuse and neglect in your community.

Reporting abuse, neglect, interpersonal violence

Report all incidents of suspected, observed, or disclosed abuse to your nearest Ministry of Social Services office, First Nations Child and Family Services Agency or local police/RCMP.

For all after hours incidents or concerns, immediately contact your nearest After Hours Crisis Centre:

  • Prince Albert – 306-764-1011
  • Saskatoon – 306-933-6200
  • Regina – 306-569-2724
  • Local Police/RCMP in other communities
  • a local First Nations Child and Family Service Agency

A person reporting suspected neglect or abuse is not required to provide their name.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve