Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Resolving Health Care Concerns and Complaints

Most patients have a positive experience with Saskatchewan's health care system. However, if you have questions or concerns about access to care, services, treatment, or how decisions were made, help is available to you.


1. Resolving a Health Care Concern

If you have a concern about health services you receive, try to resolve it as soon as possible by:

  • Discussing your concern directly with the health care provider involved or their supervisor when possible.

If your concerns are not resolved:

  • Call the Saskatchewan Health Authority Quality of Care Coordinator for the area where you live, or the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency.
  • If you're unable to resolve your concerns with the Saskatchewan Health Authority or Cancer Agency, call a Provincial Quality of Care Coordinator (see bottom of page).

If you do not feel your complaint is handled fairly and other avenues of appeal are ineffective:

  • Contact the Health Professional Association responsible for that profession. Health professional associations are legally required to receive and investigate complaints about the competency and conduct of their members.
  • Contact the Office of the Provincial Ombudsman. Complaints about public services can be investigated by the Provincial Ombudsman.

For concerns about surgery

For questions regarding surgery scheduling and wait times, call the Surgical Care Coordinator in the community where you are waiting for surgery. They can:

  • Access information to try to resolve concerns about your wait time;
  • Act as a liaison with specialists;
  • Tell you if a hospital booking date is set;
  • Provide an approximate wait time; and
  • Explain hospital procedures.

If you still have concerns about your wait for surgery:

  • Talk to your surgeon or family doctor/nurse practitioner.

If concerns about scheduling for surgery have not been resolved:

For concerns about specialists or booking diagnostic tests and wait times

  • Discuss your options with your family doctor/nurse practitioner (or the physician who referred you.

If concerns are not resolved:

For concerns about cancer care and wait times

If your cancer diagnosis is uncertain:

  • Discuss your concerns with the physician who is looking after you (surgeon, oncologist or family doctor).

If you've been diagnosed with cancer and referred to the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency for treatment:

For concerns about personal care homes

For questions or concerns about prescription drugs

For public health concerns

If you have a public health concern such as someone smoking where it is prohibited, or a concern about the safety of drinking water:

For concerns about hearing services

If you have a concern about hearing services received through the Hearing Aid Plan:

If you have concerns about hearing services received through private hearing clinics:

  • Contact the Ministry of Health Community Care Branch about hearing services received through private hearing clinic at 306-787-1957 or by email.

For concerns about health cards, birth and death certificates, and other vital statistics

For concerns about a Government of Saskatchewan health facility, program, or service


2. Client Concern Specialist, Client Representatives, and Patient Advocates

Client Concern Specialist, also called client representatives or patient advocates, investigate and try to resolve concerns about the quality of care provided and:

  • Assist with resolving a concern;
  • Ensure you are aware of your rights and options; and
  • Use your feedback to recommend changes and improvements to enhance the quality of health services.

Contact the local Client Concern Specialist in your area:

Community Phone
Buffalo Narrows 1-833-484-2577
La Ronge 1-833-484-2577
Lloydminster 1-833-484-2577
Meadow Lake 1-833-484-2577
Moose Jaw 1-855-778-7708
North Battleford 1-833-484-2577
Prince Albert 1-833-484-2577
Regina 1-866-411-7272
Rosetown 1-855-778-7708
Saskatoon 1-866-655-5066
Swift Current 1-855-778-7708
Tisdale 1-833-484-2577
Weyburn 1-855-778-7708
Yorkton 1-855-778-7708

Or the Client Concern Specialist for the organization you are dealing with:

Organization Phone
Athabasca Health Authority 306-439-2200
Saskatchewan Cancer Agency 1-866-577-6489
Ministry of Health 306-787-2718

3. Patients' Rights

Your rights as a patient in the Saskatchewan health care system are protected by the following laws:

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve