Today, more and more people are becoming aware of the importance of mental health. Our modern, fast-paced world is filled with countless pressures, expectations and uncertainty. This can have a negative impact on our mental health and well-being. But these challenges aren't exclusive to adulthood. Children and teens are also at risk for developing mental health disorders and the increased use of digital technology over recent years has made this a growing concern.
Research shows that too much screen time can put children and teens at risk for developing numerous mental health challenges, such as anxiety, depression, stress and nomophobia. Being aware of the risks of too much screen time, and knowing what warning signs to watch out for, is critical to protecting mental health and developing healthy screen habits for children and teens.
- Learn more about the impact digital technology has on the development and mental health of school-aged children according to the Canadian Paediatric Society.
- Digital technology can have both positive and negative effects on well-being, depending on the activity and how much time is spent on it.
- Watch this interesting and informative video about the connection between screen time and teen mental health and when you should be worried about screen time.
- Check out this helpful infographic to learn more about how screen time can impact children and what some of the warning signs are of too much screen time.
- Learn more about student wellness and well-being in schools.