The program is available to Saskatchewan high school students who will be in Grade 10 or 11 during the exchange year and who are currently studying French, whether it is Core French, French Immersion or Post-Intensive French.
Students are selected for the program based on:
- Consent and approval from the teacher;
- Consent and approval from the school, the school division and the parents, guardians or caregivers;
- Sincere interest from the student and family;
- The ability for the host family to provide the incoming student with good accommodations, family life and social setting;
- A good academic record;
- Participation in the school community;
- The ability to catch up with their regular school month during the three-month absence; and
- Personal qualities, including:
- maturity and sense of responsibility;
- good health;
- sense of humour;
- accepting of others; and
- openness to another family, home and culture.