Learn more about COVID-19 in Saskatchewan:

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Parenting Coordination

Separation is a difficult time for parents and their children. Some parents may find themselves in frequent conflict with one another for a long period of time following a separation or trial, particularly when the breakup was traumatic. Parents in these situations often return to court many times.

Parenting coordination is a child-focused, out-of-court dispute resolution process for separated families. Parents can meet with a parenting coordinator for help with interpreting or understanding their court order, family arbitration award or separation agreement, as they relate to parenting.

Parenting coordination is voluntary, unless the court orders parents to use parenting coordination services. Parents need to sign an agreement with the parenting coordinator for parenting coordination services. The agreement can engage the parenting coordinator for up to two years.

A parenting coordinator helps parties communicate with one another and tries to facilitate agreement on parenting issues. Parenting coordinators are trained to:

  • understand the needs of the children;
  • help each parent discuss their parenting related concerns;
  • help parents manage, and keep children out of, conflicts.

If parents cannot come to an agreement on something, parenting coordinators can decide for them. Parenting coordinators make decisions based on information they receive from the parents; professionals such as doctors, teachers, counsellors and others; and also the children, if necessary.

A parenting coordinator does not make major decisions relating to matters of custody or access. However, they can make decisions on the following:

  • minor changes to parenting access plans, such as vacations and holidays;
  • children's participation in activities like ballet, hockey and attendance at special events;
  • education, including any special needs considerations, like tutoring;
  • how children's clothing and school items are shared between each parent's home;
  • the temporary care of the children by someone other than a parent or guardian;
  • the discipline of a child;
  • the transportation and exchange of children between parents;
  • any other matter agreed to between the parties involved.

If you would like to find a parenting coordinator, a contact list is available. (If you experience problems opening this document, please download or open with Internet Explorer.)

Exclusively in Prince Albert (effective January 1, 2020) and Regina (effective March 1, 2021) until further notice – most family law matters that come to family court will be required to attempt a family dispute resolution process before they will be able to continue with any further court proceedings.

Information for Professionals Interested in Becoming a Parenting Coordinator

If you are interested in being recognized by the Minister as a parenting coordinator for the purposes of the Act, send your resume and cover letter to Kim Newsham at kim.newsham@gov.sk.ca or 306-787-2599

Your resume and/or cover letter should address the requirements set out in The Children's Law Regulations, 1998.

You must be a member in good standing of one of the following:

  • Law Society of Saskatchewan
  • Saskatchewan College of Psychologists
  • Saskatchewan Association of Social Workers
  • Family Mediation Canada
  • ADR Institute of Saskatchewan Inc.

You must also have:

  • completed 40 hour parenting coordination training;
  • at least 5 years of family related practice;
  • 14 hours of family violence training;
  • if you are not a member of the Law Society of Saskatchewan, at least 14 hours of family law training;
  • professional liability insurance that provides coverage for practice as a parenting coordinator.

Note that each year, 6 hours of continuing professional development related to the practice of parenting coordination is required.

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve