Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

More Information on Farm Ownership

Definition of a resident person

A resident person is a Canadian citizen or is a permanent resident of Canada.

Transferring land to people outside of Canada

The Saskatchewan Farm Security Act provides that any amount of land can be transferred to a designated relative from a person who has been a resident for five consecutive years and acquired the land while a resident. A designated relative includes children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents, brother, sister, nephew, niece and their spouses.

Out-of-country buyers

A Canadian citizen is considered by the Act to be a resident even if he or she resides outside of Canada. Non-residents may only acquire 10 acres. For acquisitions in excess of these limits by non-residents, an Exemption must be obtained from the Farm Land Security Board by the purchaser. The Board has developed Exemption categories over time and information about this area can be found by reviewing the Farm Ownership Exemption Information Package. (pdf)

Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)

Individuals with farming experience and with capital to invest in a farming operation may qualify. The SINP program is designed to expedite the immigration of qualified individuals to Saskatchewan to farm. For more information, please contact SINP at 306-798-7467, email or visit the SINP website.

The Board is receptive to applicants who are serious about relocating to Canada and have a plan to do so.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve