Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Farm Ownership

Saskatchewan's Farm Ownership legislation is found in The Saskatchewan Farm Security Act (Act).

The Farm Land Security Board administers and enforces Farm Ownership legislation in Saskatchewan. It has the authority to exempt an interest in farm land held by non-eligible entities. It also has the authority to order fines and penalties: and has the authority to issue land divestment orders to non-eligible entities.

Individuals and entities eligible to hold an interest in Saskatchewan farm land include: Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada, and corporations or membership-based organizations which are 100 per cent Canadian-owned, and are not publicly traded, are eligible to own Saskatchewan farm land. Designated relatives acquiring land from eligible Canadian residents may also own Saskatchewan farm land.

Individuals and entities not eligible to hold an interest in Saskatchewan farm land include: Individuals who are not Canadian citizens or are not permanent residents of Canada and entities totally or partly owned or controlled by non-Canadians are not eligible to own Saskatchewan farm land. Ineligible individuals or entities must apply to the Farm Land Security Board for an Exemption to acquire an interest in more than 10 acres of farm land in Saskatchewan. Exemption application forms are available by selecting either a corporate or non-resident application.

Corporate or Membership Entity Exemption Form


Non-resident Exemption Form

Farm Ownership Rules

The following documents will be of interest to persons examining Saskatchewan Farm Ownership rules;

Farmland Ownership Declaration - Corporation

Farmland Ownership Declaration - Individual(s)

Farm Ownership Exemption Information Package - PDF

Farm Ownership Decisions

Farm Ownership Exemptions

Recreational Property Exemption Policy

In the event a proposed farm land acquisition by a non-resident will exceed 10 acres an application for exemption must be submitted and an exemption obtained. The Board has developed policy respecting the acquisition of farm land for recreational purposes and will consider the following criteria when an application for exemption is submitted:

  1. That the property is of minimal agricultural use;
  2. That no impediment to the subdivision exists, either through the zoning by-laws or topographical terrain;
  3. That a habitable dwelling be erected within 2 years from the date of acquisition;
  4. That there be no erection of wildlife-restrictive fencing;
  5. That proof [exists] that the vendor has advertised the property to Canadians in a widely-distributed newspaper.

Farm Ownership Eligibility questions and questions concerning exemption applications may be directed to the Board office at 306-787-5047; Fax: 306-787-8599; or by emailing the Farm Land Security Board office.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve