Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Crown Resource Land Leases

NOTE: Crown Resource Land Fee Changes - This table outlines fee changes for dispositions located on Crown resource land administered by the Ministry of Environment.

The province administers more than 37 million hectares of Crown resource land, primarily in central and northern Saskatchewan, with some smaller holdings in the south. Crown resource lands are managed for the benefit of all people of Saskatchewan.


1. Guidance

The province administers the leasing of Crown resource lands.

  • Crown resource lands are typically thought of as "wilderness" areas, supporting forest ecosystems and wildlife, as well as containing wetlands, marshes and lakes.
  • Most of the Crown land in the southern portion of the province is administered by the Ministry of Agriculture because of its suitability for agricultural purposes.
  • Crown resource land does not include park land designated under The Parks Act.

2. Eligibility

To lease crown resource lands

Crown resource lands may be used for a variety of purposes under a lease, permit, easement or licence that allow the legal occupation or use of the land. Examples include: 
  • Resource use cabins;
  • Commercial and industrial operations; and
  • Wild rice harvesting. 

Leases are generally longer term dispositions that allocate lands for particular use. Permits are shorter term authorizations that grant access to the land for a specific purpose.

Some locations may not be available for disposition due to a variety of factors, including:

  • Proximity to other land uses;
  • Buffers from sensitive areas; and
  • Designations that prohibit certain types of developments such as ecological reserves.

3. How to Apply

To lease Crown land, please contact an Ecological Management Specialist to first discuss your proposal.

Then, submit a completed Application for Crown Land Disposition form :

Lands Unit
Fish, Wildlife and Lands Branch
Ministry of Environment
4th Floor, 3211 Albert Street
Regina, SK  S4S 5W6

The ministry reviews these applications, ensuring that environmental and resource impacts are considered before issuing a decision. No development on Crown resource land is allowed to take place without authorization.


4. Apply


5. Further Information

Information about purchasing Crown resource lands is also available.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve