Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Crown Resource Lands Purchases

The province administers more than 37 million hectares of Crown resource land, primarily in central and northern Saskatchewan, with some smaller holdings in the south. We manage Crown resource lands for the benefit of all people of Saskatchewan.



1. Guidance

The province administers the purchasing of Crown resource lands.
  • Crown resource lands are typically thought of as “wilderness” areas, supporting forest ecosystems and wildlife, as well as containing wetlands, marshes and lakes. 
  • Most of the Crown land in the southern portion of the province is administered by the Ministry of Agriculture because of its suitability for agricultural purposes. 
  • Crown resource land does not include park land designated under The Parks Act.
In general, Crown land may be sold:
  • To an existing lessee 
  • In response to an unsolicited development proposal

2. Eligibility

For an existing lessee to purchase crown resource lands

Certain categories of leased land are available for purchase by the existing lessee only. In these instances, the lessee triggers a potential purchase by making a request to purchase the land.

The following types of leased land are available for sale to the existing lessee:
  • recreational lots in surveyed cluster subdivisions identified by the province;
  • residential parcels used as a primary residence;
  • commercial use properties that have physical access via an all season, surveyed and registered road right of way, AND:
    • is within the administrative boundary of a northern town, northern village or northern hamlet if located within the Northern Saskatchewan Administration District; OR
    • comply with all applicable local or rural municipal zoning bylaws if located outside of the Northern Saskatchewan Administration District; OR
    • is within a surveyed, cluster or community subdivision identified by the ministry.
There is no requirement to buy the land and lessees can continue leasing the property under a long-term lease.

For an unsolicited proposal to purchase Crown resource lands

The province receives unsolicited proposals for developments that include requests to purchase Crown lands.
  • These proposals are reviewed to ensure that environmental and resource impacts are considered before any development or sale takes place. 
  • The province has not identified any specific priority areas for development.
  • If applicable, the province may discuss development proposals and opportunities with developers, local communities, First Nations and Métis people. 
  • Discussions strive to reach a consensus leading to economic opportunities that are environmentally and socially acceptable.
To ensure transparency, information about proposals under active consideration will be posted on this website for at least 30 days before a final decision is made.

If you are an existing lessee in one of the eligible sale categories, complete an Application to Purchase Crown Land form and submit it to the appropriate Ministry of Environment office.


3. How To Apply

To submit an unsolicited development proposal involving Crown resource land, contact the appropriate office for more information.

4. Apply

Application to Purchase Crown Resource Land

Submit a completed form to the appropriate Ministry of Environment office listed below.


5. Further Information

Crown resource land is sold at its fair market value, as determined by a land appraisal.

  • Applicants are charged site inspection and administration fees.
  • Once the leased parcel is confirmed as being eligible for sale, the province will provide a list of accredited land appraisers, one of which will be hired by the applicant to provide an appraisal report indicating the fair market value of the property. Each appraiser sets their own fees.
  • The full cost of the appraisal is paid by the applicant when the land appraiser’s services are engaged. If either party does not agree with the appraised market value, that party may obtain another appraisal at their cost.
  • The province reserves the right to re-appraise the land and determine the purchase price using whichever appraisal is deemed to most closely represent current market values.
  • Most existing lots within cluster subdivisions are already surveyed and can be transferred using those existing plans. Lands outside of subdivision developments and areas identified for new development projects may require surveying to establish parcel boundaries.
  • The applicant will be responsible to arrange for and pay the costs of having an accredited land surveyor prepare an appropriate legal survey, if one is required.

Environment Field Office Locations

Offices are located in Regina, Meadow Lake, Prince Albert, and Nipawin.

La Ronge Area
5th Floor, 800 Central Avenue
Box 3003, McIntosh Mall
Phone: (306) 953-2890

Prince Albert Area
5th Floor, 800 Central Avenue
Box 3003, McIntosh Mall
Phone: (306) 953-3363

Meadow Lake Area
Unit 1 – 101 Railway Place
Phone: (306) 236-7551


Nipawin Area

Box 1886
201 – 1st Street E

Phone: (306) 862-1812


Regina Area

3rd Floor, 3211 Albert Street

Phone (306) 787-2889

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve