Weight limits, dimensions as well as the number of hours you can drive have been established to keep highways safe in Saskatchewan. Discover trucking regulations, standards, truck and configurations.
The regulations limiting weights and dimensions on public highways are established through the The Vehicle Weight and Dimension Regulations, 2010.
Weight and Dimensions Restrictions
- Loaded vehicles must not travel on the shoulder of the highway unless otherwise specified.
- Public structures or highway construction may restrict travel of oversize or overweight loads.
- "D" signs on escort vehicles must not be displayed unless they are required by permit.
- All vehicles are subject to any weight restriction imposed by law or regulation such as The Vehicle Weight and Dimension Regulations, 2010.
- Permits and/or permit numbers must be available in the vehicle and produced to a peace officer or authorized ministry representative upon request.
- At night, rear facing red lights must mark the end of any load extending beyond the side 30 cm or more, and extending beyond the rear 1m or more, of the extremities of the vehicle. Side extremity must also have a forward facing amber lamp.
- The vehicle may be equipped with extendable load marking lights.
- Direct crossing of a provincial highway is allowed on restricted travel days (Sunday afternoons, public holidays, etc.) if a flag person is used.
- Certain loads may require specific conditions or travel time restrictions. For more details contact the permit office.
- As a minimum, all loads are to be secured in accordance with The Security of Loads Regulations.
- Farm machinery and equipment have specific policies separate from this section.
- Mobile homes and building moves have separate policies.
Useful Manuals and Guides
All automobile wreckers operating in the province are required to have a valid licence. To obtain an automobile wrecking licence, please contact 306-933-5290.
Additional information can be obtained by contacting the inquiry line: 1-866-933-5290 in Saskatchewan or 306‑933‑5290 outside the province.