Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Moving a Building on a Provincial Highway

The driver is responsible for ensuring the load being hauled will safely clear structures. See the Vertical and Horizontal Clearances document and table for more information.

If you must move a large building, such as a house, garage or church, please follow these guidelines. Large structures such as grain bins and tanks are not considered buildings.

Building moves will require a permit administered by SGI.

Additional information can be obtained by contacting the inquiry line: 1-866-933-5290 in Saskatchewan or 306‑933‑5290 outside the province.


Buildings are not allowed to be moved between sunset and sunrise. However, special consideration will be given for moves within 25 km of a major urban centre between midnight and sunrise.


  • From 3:00 p.m. Fridays to sunrise the following Monday.
  • Buildings less than 7.32 m wide can be moved on Saturdays.
  • From 3:00 p.m. on the day prior to a Public Holiday until sunrise the first working day following the holiday.
  • Mealtime restrictions apply. No travel is permitted within 25 km of all major urban centres (Saskatoon, Regina, Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Yorkton, North Battleford and Lloydminster):
    • 7:30 to 9:30 a.m.
    • 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
    • 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
  • On any highway under construction unless prior arrangements have been made with the Ministry of Highways Regional Construction staff.

General Information

Warning Lights

Warning lights must also be used to warn other drivers. These lights need to be 175 mm round or 120 mm x 152 mm. The lights must be mounted on each side of the building (red at the rear, amber at the front).

Vehicle Escorts

If moving a building between midnight and sunrise, you will require escort vehicles. They must be properly equipped if the building exceeds 4.45 m (15 ft) wide at the base. On a two-lane highway a minimum of two lead escorts and one trail escort is required. On a four-lane highway a minimum of one lead escort and two trail escorts are required. Additional escorts may be used as required. A third escort is required when the passing lane is reduced to 3.1 m (10 ft) or less.

Poor Weather

If inclement weather exists, the move should be postponed. If visibility is reduced to less than 1500 m or when the roadway is covered with snow, sleet or ice, which impedes the driver's or other motorists ability to drive safely, the move should be suspended.

Additional Requirements

When moving a building you must travel at least 20 km/h. On a two-lane highway, the building mover must travel as far over on the right side of the road as possible. This can include the shoulder. On a four-lane highway the building must travel in the right lane only (unless passing obstacles) and as far right as possible. This includes the shoulder.

Notice period in effect during business hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday excluding statutory holidays). The notice period starts over if changes are made to the route or building dimensions.

The 24 or 48-hour notice begins when the application is sent back to the mover, not when the application is received in the permit office.


The building mover is required to conduct a route assessment.

If the building is over 5.18 m high, an approval number from SaskPower is also required. Other approvals may be required depending on type of obstruction (SaskTel, CN, CP, etc.).

If moving a building wider than 7.32 m (24 ft.), a minimum notice is required.

  • If the building is being moved only on provincial highways, 24 hours is required.
  • If the move is on municipal and provincial roads, 48 hours is required.
  • If the route or building dimensions change, the notice period resets.

For loads exceeding 7.32 m (24 ft.) wide, travel on those highways restricted will only be allowed for short distances where there is no reasonable alternate public road available, or where the origin or delivery point is on the designated highway.

Travel on the following two lane highways will only be allowed subject to the ministry's policy advisor approval where there is no reasonable alternate public road available:

  • Highway #5, from Saskatoon to Humboldt
  • Highway #6, from Southey to Junction Highway #39
  • Highway #7
  • Highway #10, from Junction Highway #1 to Junction Highway #15
  • Highway #39, from Junction Highway #6 to U.S. Border
  • Highway #16, portions east of Saskatoon


An accurate weight estimate is required.

  • A weight estimation can be determined from the crib jack gauges by utilizing the following formula:
    • Individual crib jack load weight = sq. inches on top of crib jack x psi
    • Total load weight can be determined by totaling all of the individual crib jack weights as determined above.
    • Weight is in pounds.
    • Equipment (tarp weight, etc.) is in addition to this estimate.
  • If a weight is not available using the method described above, the following formula can be utilized to determine an alternative weight estimation for the building structure:
    • Building Weight (in pounds) = 44 x length (ft) x width (ft)
    • Building Weight (in kilograms) = 20 x length (ft) x width (ft)

How to Apply

In order to apply, you must complete the building move permit application form. The information must include:

  • Name of company
  • Contact information
  • Type of building
  • Registered weight
  • Destination


Download Permit Application Form

Submit completed applications to an SGI Permit Office

Additional information can be obtained by contacting the inquiry line: 1-866-933-5290 in Saskatchewan or 306‑933‑5290 outside the province.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve