Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Wild Species Research Permitting


Research Permits fall under the Conservation Standards Program (CSP). A Research Permit is required to conduct academic research and to detect or observe plants or wildlife for commercial purposes, such as a pre-screening surveys to collect baseline data or habitat assessments. Research Permits are not required if you are doing surveys for personal, recreational, educational or other non-commercial purposes. Revisions were made to section 21 of The Wildlife Act in 2015 and to section 6.2 of The Wildlife Regulations in 2016. All forms and related information pertaining to Research Permits can be found in the Publications Centre. Subscribe to the Mail-out Lists for timely and pertinent updates to Research Permits, Saskatchewan Conservation Data Centre (SKCDC) Lists and Ranks and HABISask.

Types of Research Permits

Applications for Research Permits are based on the following activities:

Academic Research

This application is intended for use by researchers conducting plant, invertebrate or wildlife research on behalf of agencies or universities. the Academic Research application covers all other activities regulated under Research Permits, including Bird Banding or Species Detection Surveys. A research permit is required regardless of whether an Animal Use Protocol (AUP) is required for the project.

Academic Research Application

Related Information

Species Detection

This application applies to industry/ environmental consultants who are conducting research, such as pre-screening surveys for commercial purposes.

Species Detection Application

Related Information

Bird Banding

A Research Permit is required to band birds protected by provincial legislation; this includes hawks, owls, eagles, falcons, gallinaceous birds, crows, jays, pelicans, cormorants, blackbirds and kingfishers. Applicants must hold a federal banding permit.

Bird Banding Application

Data Submission Templates

The information you submit is an important contribution that will guide approval and planning processes and inform species rankings, ultimately resulting in the up-listing or down-listing of species.

Data Loadforms

The Saskatchewan Conservation Data Centre welcomes data submissions from groups and individuals doing nature-related surveys that don't require a Research Permit. Instructions on completing the Species Detection Data Loadform are found within the form itself.

A research permit is not required for groups or individuals doing nature-related surveys.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve