Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Employment Record Keeping

All employers must keep payroll records for each employee, including:

  • the particulars of every employment contract;
  • the name and address of the employee;
  • a brief job description;
  • the start and end dates of employment;
  • hours at which work begins and ends each day;
  • the times for breaks;
  • the total number of hours worked each day and each week;
  • the regular rate of pay (hourly wage);
  • total wages paid;
  • dates on which each vacation is taken;
  • the amount paid to the employee with respect to each vacation to which the employee is entitled and the date of payment;
  • the amount paid to the employee with respect to each public holiday and the date of payment; and
  • all deductions from wages and the reason for each deduction.

Employers must also keep records of all shift schedules stating daily start and end times as well as any applicable modified work arrangements and overtime bank agreements.

Records for Employees Whose Work is Ordinarily Performed at Home 

Any employee who works out of their own home for someone else is covered by employment standards and entitled to the rights and benefits under the legislation, including work schedule rules, breaks, leaves, notice of termination, etc.

An employer must keep records showing the address where the work is performed and identify the portion of the work done at home.

Employers must keep the same payroll information as any other employer. As well, home workers must be provided with a statement of earnings.

Self-employed persons without employees who use their home as a base of operations are not covered by employment standards.

How Long Records Must be Kept

For current employees, records must be kept for the most recent five years of the employee's employment.

After an employee leaves a job, records must be kept for an additional two years.

Modified work arrangement agreements must be kept for five years after they end.

Contacts for Income Tax and Records of Employment (ROEs)

Contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) online at or toll-free at 1-800-959-5525 for information about income tax, T4 slips, EI and CPP contributions.

Contact Service Canada online at or toll-free at 1-800-206-7218 to get information about a Record of Employment (ROE separation slip).

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve