Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Recreational Gold Panning and Placer Mining

Recreational gold panning is allowed in Saskatchewan; however, there are no specific regulations for recreational gold panning or placer mining in the province. The Mineral Tenure Registry Regulations are applicable to any Crown mineral rights issued for the exploration and production of gold by any means, including placer mining.

Using a pan to test the presence of gold can be done without authorization where Crown mineral rights have not been already issued to somebody else. Mineral rights belong to the Crown, except where they are the property of a third party, who would authorize the exploration.

Only the surface land owner can grant surface access rights. Anyone wishing to conduct gold panning must be aware of who owns the land and obtain permission from that person or entity to access the land.

All recreational gold panning must be done with a gold pan. Sluice boxes, concentrators, jigs, trammels, screens and dredges of any size or design are prohibited. No equipment, including hand shovels, can be used to move material to be panned.

The use of any equipment other than a simple pan requires a mineral claim. If mineral exploration activity goes beyond recreational panning, please use the Mineral Administration Registry Saskatchewan (MARS) system to obtain proper mineral claims or leases, or to check the availability of land for mineral exploration.

You may also contact the Mineral Tenure Branch for information about obtaining a mineral claim or a mineral lease. Please provide the land description (i.e., legal subdivision, section, township, range and meridian).

No damage is to be inflicted to the bed, bank or boundary of any water body or water course.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve