The hay salvage and mowing program provides:
- free hay to farmers
- a neat appearance
- improved visibility
- better control of brush and harmful weed growth
- snow storage in ditches during the winter months
Hay can be salvaged any time during the spring or summer months.
Hay must be cut at a uniform height in ditches. Bales must be placed at least eight metres away from the shoulder of the highway.
As safety is the number one priority, the Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure may remove and dispose of hay bales if locations are deemed unsafe for drivers.
Participant should contact their local ministry office to provide contact information and limits on where they are salvaging hay. This will help to avoid disputes and better coordinate with other activities that may be happening within the highway ditch.
Key dates for hay salvage
- July 8: Prior to and including this date, a landowner or lessee nearest to a highway ditch has the first opportunity to cut or bale hay.
- After July 8: Cut and bale hay on a first come, first serve basis. The nearest landowner's permission is not required after this date.
- August 8: All hay bales must be removed from ditches or they may be removed and disposed of at the ministry's discretion.
- After August 8: Bales must be removed immediately following haying operations.
Ditch mowing happens from June to October every year.
The ministry contracts out the work for the annual mowing program. For this, contractors cut a four-metre wide strip near the highway. Mowing may also be done near some highway intersections, interchanges, railway crossings and tourism facilities.
Mowing progress is dependent on weather and contractor schedules.
Key dates for ditch mowing
- June 7 – July 15: early mowing of Highways 1, 7, 11, 16 and 39. Portions of Highways 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10.
- July 16 – October 15: regular mowing on all provincial highways. Four lane highways receive full ditch mowing.
For additional information or to provide contact information and limits of hay salvage operations, please contact the district office in your area:
303 - 350 Cheadle Street West
Swift Current, SK S9H 4G3
Box 457, Highway 2 South
Moose Jaw, SK S6H 4P1
18 Souris Avenue North West
Weyburn, SK S4H 3M7
502 - 114th Street
North Battleford, SK S9A 2M6
126 - 105th Street East
Saskatoon, SK S7N 1Z3
304 - 120 Smith Street East
Yorkton, SK S3N 3V3
Box 1350, 212 1st Street East
Meadow Lake, SK S9X 1Z1
Box 3003, 81 North Industrial Drive
Prince Albert, SK S6V 6G1
Box 597, 1328 La Ronge Avenue
La Ronge, SK S0J 1L0