You apply for the Saskatchewan Insulin Pump Program, you must:
- Be assessed by an endocrinologist or a specialist physician who recommend the use of an insulin pump as a medical necessity;
- Participate in a regional health authority diabetes education program;
- Participate in a regional health authority insulin pump information program; and
- Meet specific medical criteria (link to medical criteria).
An endocrinologist or a specialist physician who makes recommendations to use an insulin pump as a medical necessity must:
- Be associated with a regional health authority diabetes program; and
- Have experience with insulin pump management in individuals 25 years of age and under.
Following screening, assessment, pump information session and the trial period, a health region’s diabetes education program or a specialist can submit an application on behalf of a patient to SAIL.