If you are an educator administering the course in your classroom, it is recommended you use the online version of the course. Each student will need:
- A computer or tablet with an up-to-date browser;
- Access to a printer; and
- An email address to create their user account.
Please ensure that the online course is noted as a safe site within your school’s firewalls.
The course can be taken using a high bandwidth or low bandwidth version depending on the internet connection your school has.
Each student will need to create a user account and login to the course. User accounts will be active for 120 days. Once an account has been created, users will then be able to navigate the course.
The YWRCC is separated into three modules:
- Understanding the World of Work
- Fairness at Work
- Workplace Health and Safety
Throughout the course, students will be highly engaged through the use of videos, sounds, animations and games. At any time throughout the course, students can log off and then log back in to resume where they left off. Students can also login and finish the Course at home if unable to complete during class time.
The course will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete. Once the students have completed the course, they will need to take the Test to obtain a Certificate of Completion.
Students must obtain a mark of 75% or higher in order to receive their certificate. If they do not pass the test, they can take the test again. Students also have the option to go directly to the test once they sign in without having to navigate through the full course. It is recommended that students print several copies of their Certificate of Completion once they have successfully completed the test.
If you do not have the resources to administer the course using the online version, a paper and pencil version is available. To use the paper and pencil version within your classroom:
- Download and print the Young Worker Readiness Certificate Course Guide and Workbook.
- Have students complete the guide and workbook.
- Have students complete the test online by creating an account and logging into the online version of the course. Students can go directly to the test by clicking the ‘Test’ tab.
- A hard copy of the test is also available for those unable to complete the test online. To obtain hard copies, contact the Employment Standards Division at 1-800-667-1783. Please ensure to advise us how many copies of the test you will require. All tests are different to ensure copying of the tests cannot occur.
- Once your students have completed the test, you can send the completed tests back to the Employment Standards Division for marking. A Certificate of Completion will be sent to each student who receives 75% or higher on the test.
- For students that do not pass the test, the Employment Standards Division will send a notice advising that the student will need to re-take the test.
Le Cours du Certificat de préparation des jeunes travailleurs - Guide et cahier d’exercices est aussi disponible en français.