If you are an educator administering the course in your classroom, it is recommended you use the online version of the course. Each student will need:
- A computer or tablet with an up-to-date browser;
- Access to a printer; and
- A current email address to create their user account.
If your students are taking the course at school, please check with your IT support service to ensure the course is listed as a safe site with your school's firewall security.
The course can be taken using a high bandwidth or low bandwidth version depending on the internet connection your school has. The low bandwidth version is recommended for slower internet connections.
Each student will need to create a course account and login to the course. Accounts will be active for 1,095 days. Once an account has been created, your students will be able to enter the course.
The YWRCC is separated into three modules:
- Understanding the World of Work
- Fairness at Work
- Workplace Health and Safety
Throughout the course, students will be highly engaged through the use of videos, sounds, animations and games. At any time throughout the course, students can log off and then log back in to resume where they left off. Students can also login and finish the course at home if unable to complete during class time.
Please note the course resume feature only works if the student is using the same computer or device to take the course. Using a different computer or device will require the student to manually forward to where they had left off previously.
The course will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete. Once students have completed the course, they will need to take the Test to obtain a Certificate of Completion.
Students must obtain a mark of 75% or higher in order to receive their certificate. If they do not pass the test, they can take the test again. Students also have the option to go directly to the test once they sign in without having to navigate through the entire course.
If you do not have the resources to administer the course using the online version, a paper and pencil version is available. To use the paper and pencil version within your classroom:
- Download and print the YWRCC Guide and Workbook.
- Have students complete the guide and workbook.
- Have students complete the test online by creating an account and logging into the online version of the course. Students can go directly to the test by clicking the 'Test' tab.
- A hard copy of the test is also available for those unable to complete the test online. To obtain hard copies, contact the Employment Standards Division at 1-800-667-1783. Please ensure to advise us how many copies of the test you will require. All tests are different to ensure copying of the tests cannot occur.
- Once your students have completed the test, you can send the completed tests back to the Employment Standards Division for marking. A Certificate of Completion will be sent to each student who receives 75% or higher on the test.
- For students that do not pass the test, the Employment Standards Division will send a notice advising that the student will need to re-take the test.
Le Cours du Certificat de préparation des jeunes travailleurs - Guide et cahier d’exercices est aussi disponible en français.