Learn more about COVID-19 in Saskatchewan.  New information for businesses and workers available.

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Provincial Highways Damage to Vehicles

When making a claim against the Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure for vehicle damage, it's important to note that the ministry will not be liable for your vehicle damage if it has met its obligations under section 9 of The Highways and Transportation Act, 1997.

Provincial liability conditions

  • Claims must be reported within 30 days of the date of the incident.
  • Damage must have occurred while travelling on a provincial highway.
  • Damage sustained on a highway other than a provincial highway should be directed to the city or rural municipality in which it occurred.
  • The ministry is not liable for damage as a result of an object or thing that has fallen from a vehicle or been placed on the roadway by any person or animal except in the case of fault or negligence on the part of any employee of the ministry charged with the maintenance of the roadway.
  • The ministry is liable only if it knew, or ought to have known, of the state of disrepair. The ministry is not liable if it can prove it took reasonable steps to prevent the disrepair from happening or warn the motoring public of the state.
  • There is some accountability on drivers to watch where they are driving, to avoid damage as long as this can be done safely.

What your claim needs to include:

  • The date and time of the incident.
  • The exact location of the incident, including highway, direction of travel, lane and references to landmarks to help us locate the defect.
  • A detailed description of the incident.
  • A description of what is damaged, and the amount of the claim, if known.
  • Your name, full mailing address, email address and telephone number.
  • Any supporting pictures, estimates or invoices (optional).

What to expect from a claims investigation

  • A confirmation will be sent to you once your claim has been received.
  • An investigation will be conducted, to determine if we are responsible for your loss.
  • The investigation will consist of gathering information from you, Ministry staff, or any third parties that may have been carrying out work at or near the site of the incident.
  • A claim is typically completed within 30 days, at which point you will be notified of our decision.

How to file a claim form

Download the fillable claim form

  • Email your completed form to us; or
  • Mail your completed form or a letter with all relevant information to the nearest regional office. Please address your envelope to the Regional Coordinator

If you have any questions or concerns regarding filing your claim, please contact your nearest Regional office and ask to speak with the Regional Coordinator.

Regional office locations

Southern Region   Central Region   Northern Region
1630 Park St.
Regina, SK  S4N 2G1
  Unit #18, 3603 Miller Ave.
Saskatoon, SK  S7P 0B2
  Box 3003, 8th Floor, 800 Central Ave.
Prince Albert, SK  S6V 6G1

How to check on the status of your claim

For more information about the vehicle damage claims process, or to request an update about your claim, please contact the appropriate Regional Office and ask to speak with the Regional Coordinator.

How to appeal a denied claim

If our records show we met our obligations under the Act, your claim will be denied. The Regional Coordinator will outline the result of their investigation in a letter to you, which will include the reason for claim denial.

If your claim was denied and you believe there was information or circumstances not considered, you may have the decision reviewed by the Regional Director of Operations. If the claim is still denied, you may initiate an action in Provincial Small Claims Court in an attempt to recover damages.

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve