Renseignements en français

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Health Care

Accessing Health Services

As a newcomer to Saskatchewan, you have access to a publicly funded health care system which provides medical care without a direct cost to you. If you are currently receiving treatment for a specific illness, it is a good idea to bring copies of your medical records and an English translation of them if needed. This will help your doctor understand your health problem better.

Saskatchewan Health Services Card and Health Coverage

A Saskatchewan Health Services Card (Health Card) is a personal identification card you present for health services. Applying for a Health Card is the first step to getting provincial medical coverage.

Continuous Health Coverage

The Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) nominees can ask the Immigration Services Branch for support to continue their provincial health coverage. To receive support, you must:

  • Be living and working in Saskatchewan;
  • Be nominated by the SINP;
  • Have applied to IRCC for Permanent Residence; and
  • Have applied to IRCC to extend their work permits.
If you meet the above requirements, the SINP will email support for your continued health coverage directly to eHealth Saskatchewan. eHealth Saskatchewan will mail your extended health card directly to you. If you do not meet the requirements, the SINP can't support your request.

To apply for the support, please complete the Request for Continued Saskatchewan Health Coverage Form. The form contains detailed instructions and a checklist for required documents.

Extended Health Benefits

Saskatchewan's medical system covers the cost for basic medical care. Residents can also choose to purchase private health insurance plans that would provide even more extended health benefits. Many employers also offer private health plans for their employees. The employee fee is deducted from their pay.

Getting Medical Help

Learn about your rights and responsibilities related to health care, what to do in an emergency and how to find a doctor or other medical services in Saskatchewan.

Your Rights and Responsibilities

In Saskatchewan, you have both rights and responsibilities and take an active part in your own health care.

You have the right to:

  • Choose your own doctor (or other healthcare provider);
  • Ask questions about your health or the advice you are getting, and agree to;
  • Refuse medical treatment;
  • Ask for a second medical opinion about your health problem;
  • See your medical information or obtain copies of any of your records; and
    • There may be a fee for copies of your file records.
  • Have your personal and medical information kept private and confidential.

It is your responsibility to give health care providers information about your medical condition.

Emergency Services

Saskatchewan provides assistance for emergency services – life-threatening situations. Throughout the province, you can call 911 on the telephone to talk to an operator who is trained to get you the right kind of emergency service. Learn about emergency services here.

Learn all about health care in Saskatchewan in our Health section.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve