If you have a concern about a property in your neighbourhood, for your own safety you should not attempt to investigate on your own, or approach anyone on the property. SCAN enables you to share your concern confidentially with investigators who will follow up on your concerns.
You can contact a SCAN Investigation Unit by phone or by submitting the report form provided below. The information you provide is confidential, and you will not be involved in any investigative or court proceedings that may result from your report. No one involved with SCAN can disclose your identity without your consent, and the information you provide cannot be used in a way that would disclose your identity.
The identity of the person or persons making a complaint (the complainant) is entirely confidential. No person, including the Director, can, without written consent of the complainant, disclose the identity of the complainant or any information by which the complainant may be identified to another person, court, government institution, local authority or law enforcement agency. The complainant will not be involved in any investigative or court proceedings that may result from the complaint.
Please provide detailed answers to the following questions:
- What is your full name, address, phone number and date of birth. (Note: all of your information will remain confidential and is only for investigators' use.)
- What is the address that is causing you concern?
- Describe who is living there. Are there any children present?
- What is your relationship to this person? Are they a neighbour, acquaintance, relative, etc.?
- Are there any animals at this property? In particular, are there any dogs? If so, are they friendly?
- Describe the property. For example, is there a driveway or garage? Is it fenced? Is there a back alley?
- Do they own vehicles? Indicate make, model and licence plates if known.
- Is the property located near a vulnerable sector, such as a school, daycare etc.?
- What is the illegal activity that you believe is happening at the residence? Drug dealing? Prostitution? Gang activity? Please describe what you are seeing to make you believe this.
- Which door at the address has the most frequent activity?
- What is your view of the property? For example, can you see the front or back door? Can you see the yard? Or, do you not have a good view?
- How long are people staying at this property after they arrive?
- How long has this activity been going on?
- Has there been any police presence at this residence?
- What affect is this having on you/your community?
- Is there any serious or immediate threat to health, safety or security?
- Have you reported this to the police or any other agency? What was their response?
- How did you hear about Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods (SCAN)?