New employees to the position of Probation Officer/Community Youth Worker (PO/CYW) will receive Community Corrections Core Training (C3T) during their first year of employment. C3T will provide knowledge, skills and abilities to enhance learning.
Training is embedded in the PO/CYW work week and is typically scheduled for one week per month. If you are not headquartered (assigned to work) in a Community Corrections office where training is scheduled, the Ministry of Corrections, Policing and Public Safety will reimburse you for costs associated with lodging and meals.
The training is practical and skill development based. Professionalism, respect for the law, and skill development -- founded upon best practices -- are emphasized throughout. Learning modules are delivered by both internal and external resources as determined by topic.
The C3T learning modules address several important themes including the following:
- Mental Health Training
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
- Core Correctional Practices
- Criminal Justice System Orientation
- Effective Communication
- Offender Programs and Services
- Workplace Safety and Security
Accommodations for Community Corrections Core Training
Reasonable accommodations (like religious accommodations and accommodations for diverse abilities) will be granted unless such accommodation would cause undue hardship to the employer. Accommodations will be granted in accordance with the Public Service Commission's policy on employment accommodation.
- attend and participate in all sessions of C3T;
- abide by the rules and requirements;
- comply with the Code of Professional Conduct and any applicable policies;
- asking questions during all phases of C3T; and
- completing all parts of C3T.