The Tobacco and Vapour Products Control Act and regulations regulate the use and sale of tobacco and vapour products in Saskatchewan.
New laws respecting the sale, display, promotion and use of vapour products came into effect on February 1, 2020. All retailers and people who use vapour products must meet the requirements of the new Tobacco and Vapour Products Control Act and The Tobacco and Vapour Products Control Regulations.
The main legislative and regulatory provisions include the following:
- No smoking/vaping in, enclosed public places, school grounds, near doorways and windows.
- Restrict smoking and vaping in enclosed public places, including schools and school grounds.
- Prohibit people from smoking and vaping within three metres from a doorway, window or air intake of an enclosed public place.
- Restrictions on the retail sale, advertising and promotion of tobacco and vapour products.
- Restrict the sale of tobacco and all vapour products to individuals 18 years of age and older.
- Prohibit the display of tobacco and vapour products where young persons have access.
- Prohibit the sale of tobacco and vapour products at specified facilities such as amusement parks, arcades and theatres where youth frequent.
- Restrict advertising of vapour products in the same manner as tobacco products by prohibiting advertising signs and promotional signs in areas where young persons can enter.
- Restrictions on flavoured vapour products.
As of September 1, 2021, the sale of most flavoured vapour products are restricted to adult-only, specialty vape shops. Retail locations that are open to those under 18 years of age, such as convenience stores and gas stations, are permitted to sell only tobacco and mint/menthol-flavoured vapour products. Age-restricted specialty vape shops must have a sign on their entrance.
For more information, please see the following pages:
Tobacco, Vapour Products and Your Health
Facts about tobacco and vapour products and resources to help you quit smoking.
Tobacco- and Vapour Products-Free Schools
Saskatchewan schools are tobacco-free zones. All tobacco and vapour products are banned, at all times, in schools and on any grounds owned by schools.
Tobacco and Vapour Products Legislation
Learn about legislation, sale and advertising of tobacco and vapour products and enforcing the law.
Information on the Use of Tobacco and Vapour Products
Find out about legal responsibilities regarding the use of tobacco and vapour products in and around enclosed public places.
Information for Parents and Guardians
Find Information about vaping for parents and guardians, as well as links to additional resources.
Information for Retailers
Information for tobacco and vapour product retailers.
Signage for tobacco and vapour product retailers, proprietors of enclosed public places and schools.
Health Canada: About Vaping
Information on vaping, vaping devices and the mechanics of vaping.