Renseignements en français

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Individualized Funding for Home Care

Home care helps people that need acute, palliative, and supportive care to stay independent at home. It also helps reduce unnecessary hospital admissions and the length of hospital stays.

You or your guardian may be eligible to receive funding based on assessed need – called individualized funding – to arrange and manage your own supportive services for home care.


1. Guidance

Home care

Home care helps people who need acute, end-of-life, rehabilitation, maintenance, and long-term supportive care to remain independent at home. The Saskatchewan Health Authority provides home care services directly to clients based on assessed need.

To learn more about home care, visit the Home Care page.

Individualized funding

Individualized funding gives you increased choice and flexibility in home care. You, or your guardian, receive funding to arrange and manage your own support services. Funding is based on assessed need and is used for supportive home care services, such as personal care or home management.

Professional health services, like registered nursing or therapies, are not included in individualized funding. If required, these services are available to you through home care.

While individualized funding provides greater flexibility and control in your care, you also have more responsibilities. It takes extra time and effort to manage this option successfully.

If you choose individualized funding and it does not work for you, you can end the agreement and consider alternatives, such as the regular home care program or other living arrangements.


2. Eligibility

You may be eligible for individualized funding if you are:

  • Eligible for home care support services;
  • Require long-term supportive care;
  • Capable of managing the funding successfully; and
  • Willing to accept the responsibilities

Your responsibilities

If you are eligible and choose the individualized funding option, you accept the responsibility of arranging, managing, and accounting for your support services.

You need to sign an agreement with the Saskatchewan Health Authority which outlines your services, funding level, accountability and reporting requirements, and other details.

Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:

  • Recruiting, hiring, training, and terminating staff. Hiring of family members and in some cases health region employees is not permitted;
  • Scheduling and payroll, including deductions such as Income Tax, Canada Pension, Employment Insurance, etc;
  • Applying for coverage under The Workers' Compensation Act, 2013;
  • Abiding by relevant legislation such as Part II and III of The Saskatchewan Employment Act, or The Income Tax Act;
  • Establishing a backup care plan that is not reliant on the health authority's home care program;
  • Reporting to the Saskatchewan Health Authority on a regular basis; and
  • Paying the applicable home care fees.

3. How to Apply

To apply for individualized funding:

  1. Contact the Saskatchewan Health Authority Home Care Program in your community.
  2. They will assess your unique care needs and determine the type of service and funding level.

4. Further Information

A number of community based agencies are familiar with the individualized funding option and may be able to provide support and information:

Once you have discussed individualized funding with the Saskatchewan Health Authority, and are ready to pursue the option, the following agencies may be of assistance:

Home Care Policy Manual

The Home Care Policy Manual ensures consistency of home care services and home care standards throughout Saskatchewan.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve