Students are the centre of Saskatchewan's education system and their voice should play a critical role in shaping it. The provincial Youth Council was formed by the Minister of Education to provide direction and leadership on how to engage students on a variety of topics.
Members of the provincial Youth Council work directly with the Minister of Education and other government officials to identify issues and topics important to them and their peers. These areas of interest will drive future discussion and provide insight for the vision of education in Saskatchewan.
"We have inspirational students across our province who are leaders in their own schools and communities. By engaging students on a provincial level, we can provide supports that better reflect what they need to prepare them for their futures."
- Honourable Gordon S. Wyant, Q.C., Minister of Education
As a student-led group, the Youth Council members will have an important role in defining their work and determining the Council's direction and activities over the course of the school year.
2019-20 Provincial Youth Council Members
The 2019-20 Youth Council consists of 12 students in grades 11-12 from different Saskatchewan school divisions, who will serve for a one school year term:
- Nate Bergen, Lloydminster Catholic School Division
- Peyton Chandler, Northern Lights School Division
- Louise Lacroix, North East School Division
- Sandra Leblanc, Conseil des écoles fransaskoises
- Jade Matte, Prairie Spirit School Division
- Olivia Maurice, Greater Saskatoon Catholic School Division
- Wakpa McKay, Prairie Valley School Division
- Elizabeth Pala, Saskatchewan Rivers School Division
- Julie Patton, Living Sky School Division
- Chad Thomas, Saskatoon Public School Division
- Jordan Verbeek, Regina Catholic School Division
- Shannon Williamson, Creighton School Division
More information about each of the 2019-20 Youth Council members can be read in their biographies.
Get to know your Youth Council