Students are the centre of Saskatchewan's education system and their voices play an important role in shaping it. The mandate of the 2020-21 Youth Council is to present the Minister of Education with advice and insights on topics of interest to today's students in connection with the four pillars of the new provincial education plan.
Members of the provincial Youth Council work directly with the Minister of Education and other government officials to identify issues and topics of importance related to the key elements of the provincial education plan, which include:
- skills and knowledge for future learning, life and participation in society;
- mental health and well-being;
- connections among people and relationships between systems and structures; and,
- inclusive, safe and welcoming learning environments.
"We have inspirational students across our province who are leaders in their own schools and communities. I am thrilled to be able to hear directly from them, and am committed to listening so that I too can learn and assist in empowering the future leaders of Saskatchewan."
- Honourable Gordon S. Wyant, Q.C., Minister of Education
Youth Council members will have an important role in providing the Minister of Education advice and insights that contribute to the vision of education in Saskatchewan.
2020-21 Youth Council Members
The 2020-21 Youth Council consists of 12 students in grades 11-12 from different Saskatchewan school divisions, who will serve for a one school year term:
- Megan Betteridge, Prairie Valley School Division
- Jay Boll, South East Cornerstone School Division
- Peyton Chandler, Northern Lights School Division
- Lily Constantino, St. Paul's Catholic Separate School Division
- Dahnis Duquette, Prairie Spirit School Division
- Jan Ferrer, Regina Catholic Separate School Division
- Joshua Javier, Christ the Teacher Catholic School Division
- Emily Mamer, Horizon School Division
- Tia-Lee McCallum, Saskatchewan Rivers School Division
- Ashley Packet, Prairie South School Division
- Reece Tastad, Sun West School Division
- Logan Taylor, Saskatoon Public School Division
"I am honoured to be a member of the Youth Council alongside a talented group of people to make a change for future learning in Saskatchewan. This is a wonderful opportunity to better understand the strengths of our current education system, but also to provide insight on how we can better advocate for solutions to the relevant issues we currently face. I am looking forward to being a part of this amazing initiative!"
- Ashley Packet, 2020-21 Youth Council member
More information about each of the 2020-21 Youth Council members can be found in their biographies.
Get to know your Youth Council