Youth Council members have an important role in providing advice and insights that contribute to the delivery of education in Saskatchewan.
Students are the centre of Saskatchewan's education system and their voices play an important role in shaping it. The mandate of the Youth Council is to provide advice and insights on education policies, curriculum, programs and priorities.
“I want to welcome these students to the Provincial Youth Council and I look forward to their valuable insights which will contribute to the future of education in Saskatchewan.”
– Jeremy Cockrill, Minister of Education
2023-24 Youth Council Members
The 2023-24 Youth Council consists of 12 students in grades 10-12 from different Saskatchewan school divisions, who will serve for a one school year term:
- Abigail Calvin, Lutheran Collegiate Bible Institute
- Bret Fahselt, Chinook School Division
- Catherine Okolita, Saskatchewan Distance Learning Centre
- Deondre Herman, Northern Lights School Division
- Emry Marchand, Lloydminster Public School Division
- Freddie Comfort, Prairie Valley School Division
- Jan Nasibog, Sun West School Division
- Jazmine Pope, Chinook School Division
- Mariam Touré, Conseil des écoles fransaskoises
- Momore Afolabi, Prairie South School Division
- Sabine Wagner, Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools
- Sahaab Javaid, Regina Public School Division
“I believe that student voice is important in the school setting as a means of creating a place where students want to be and where they can excel.”
– Jazmine Pope, 2023-24 Youth Council Member,
Chinook School Division
More information about of the 2023-24 provincial Youth Council members can be found in their biographies.